Mission Economic Development Agency - Building on its 39-year history, MEDA is advancing innovative approaches to asset development. Its efforts are focused on serving low and moderate income Latino families. Our direct service programs serve 6,000 individuals each year through homeownership counseling and foreclosure intervention, business development, digital literacy, workforce development, financial education and free tax preparation. We also devote resources to research and evaluation, community organizing and advocacy. In the process, MEDA is helping to develop best practices in the field.
In December 2012, MEDA was awarded a 5-year implementation grant from the Department of Education to implement the Mission Promise Neighborhood, a neighborhood based effort to improve education and create family economic stability for in the Mission District through a cradle- to college- to career continuum of services. This initiative involves 26 community based organization partners, as well as City of San Francisco government agencies, the San Francisco Unified School District, and the Mayor’s Office of San Francisco as close collaborators in the implementation effort. MEDA is the lead agency, fiscal agent and project manager for the Mission Promise Neighborhood.
Job Description Overview – MEDA is seeking an experienced, highly motivated, bilingual English-Spanish and effective communications expert for this position. The Communications Manager will play an important role in heightening the visibility of the Mission Promise Neighborhood and developing its image both locally in the Mission District and San Francisco, and nationally as part of the Promise Neighborhoods effort. We are seeking someone who is passionate about the mission of MEDA and the Mission Promise Neighborhood, to serve as a key media contact, content developer, spokesperson, and strategic communications lead for the initiative. This position will work closely with MEDA’s Marketing & Events Coordinator to produce all marketing materials, website and social networking content, media opportunities and special events to promote the work of the Mission Promise Neighborhood and MEDA. This position will be supervised by MEDA’s Director of Development.
Duties and responsibilities include:
Strategic Communications Planning & Implementation
- Implement the Mission Promise Neighborhood Communications Plan, which was developed as part of the planning process
- Continuously revisit communications plan to monitor progress, determine where revisions are needed, and ensure the plan stays relevant for the ongoing work of MEDA and the Mission Promise Neighborhood
- Coordinate the strategic communications planning process with MEDA’s Management Team and input from the Mission Promise Neighborhood Advisory Board
- Track and report on all communications activities; maintain media archive of coverage both internally and in an online/publically available format
- Train and coach MEDA staff and partner staff where appropriate on media communications strategies
Social Media & Social Marketing
- Lead and manage cultivation of the Mission Promise Neighborhood’s and MEDA’s image and brand in the public media, relationships with outside individuals and organizations.
- With the Marketing & Events Coordinator, manage the creation of agency collateral and ensure compelling, articulate, appropriate bilingual messaging for materials including but not limited to: postcards, print and electronic newsletters, posters, print and electronic advertisements, invitations, donor solicitation materials, funder correspondences, and annual reports.
- Speak publically at events locally and nationally to promote the mission of MPN and share information on the Mission Promise Neighborhood and MEDA
- Write speeches and coach MEDA staff for speaking events
Messaging & Content Development
- Create and implement social marketing strategy for the Mission Promise Neighborhood with input from staff and Board
- Lead and manage the agency's utilization of electronic communications technologies (e.g., website, electronic newsletter, Twitter, Facebook, etc.).
- Create bilingual content for websites, including MEDA’s and the Mission Promise Neighborhood, as well as other within MEDA’s domain.
- Monitor and manage MEDA’s and the Mission Promise Neighborhood’s online presence, creating and updating content/contact information as necessary. Keep up-to-date on emerging technology/websites that could help the Mission Promise Neighborhood promote its mission
- Develop compelling and powerful bilingual messaging and content in English and Spanish for MEDA’s and the Mission Promise Neighborhood’s websites, brochures, social media outlets, and other public-facing platforms
- Further develop MEDA’s and MPN’s “brand” through messaging and strategic communications opportunities
- Working with contractual videographers, interns, and/or volunteers, manage the production process for audio-visual content, including but not limited to: client story videos, promotional videos about MEDA and the Mission Promise Neighborhood, taping of special events and media opportunities, etc.
- Manage the content development process for newsletters, including writing articles, setting the theme and strategy for newsletters, and coordinating staff and partner input on article creation where appropriate
- Manage all of the organization’s communications with the media, serve as main media point of contact.
- Cultivate relationships locally and nationally with reporters interested in covering the work of MEDA and MPN.
- Write and submit press releases on an ongoing basis for special events, success stories, highlights of the initiative’s progress, and other topics.
- Coordinate all media outreach, and respond to requests from the media in a timely and professional manner; act as liaison between media and MEDA staff to arrange interviews for print, online, and broadcast media.
- Create and implement a marketing and communications plan in concert with the Director of Development and Marketing & Events Coordinator.
- Create regular reports on media outreach and progress.
- Serve as a liaison and support to all Mission Promise Neighborhood partners for advice, guidance and strategy on partner opportunities for media exposure
- Bachelors Degree required
- Degree and/or relevant coursework in Communications, Marketing, Business, Public Relations, or related field
- Strong background in communications, with at least five years experience is required.
- Experience in the successful design and implementation of comprehensive communications/public relations strategies, either in non-profit or corporate settings.
- Project management experience including the creation of work plans that include goals and outcomes, and successful implementation of major projects is required.
- Relationships with media and/or knowledge of media sector is required.
- Experience in successfully placing articles, blogs, opinion letters, etc in media outlets including print and online media
- Experience working with low-income, Latino communities preferred
- Superior organizational skills required.
- Excellent public speaker, comfortable speaking in front of large audiences
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including communicating with individual parties, making formal presentations, and in public forums
- Ability to speak and write fluent, compelling, articulate and grammatically correct Spanish and English required.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of communications and marketing tactics, strategies, innovations and best practices
- Computer literacy including all Microsoft office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Knowledge of applications used for web-development and design is a plus, but not required
- Expertise in managing social networking messaging for marketing and fundraising purposes.
- Understanding of non-profit sector is desired.
- Passion for creating positive change, academic and economic success for children and their families
Please submit cover letter, resume, portfolio of articles successfully published and writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Must be available to work outside regular business hours occasionally, for special events and media opportunities
- 2 years ago - save job
MEDA is a community-based economic development corporation located in the Mission District of San Francisco. For over 38 years MEDA has...