The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a Communications Specialist II to support the Environment and Production Technology Division (EPTD). The Communications Specialist II will provide overall leadership for communications functions for EPTD, which includes both outreach to a number of constituencies and internal communications among division researchers. Responsibilities include working with EPTD researchers and colleagues in the Communications Division to develop communications strategies for programs and projects housed within EPTD, particularly the Agricultural Science and Technology Indicators (ASTI) program. This position is based in Washington, DC and is an exempt, one-year, fixed-term, renewable appointment.
Specific duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Managing the design, development and dissemination of effective outreach products for key projects, including briefs, brochures, PowerPoint presentations, web features, blogs, newsletters, press releases, and website content.
• Coordinate the editing of selected technical papers, including the preparation of short summary briefs of longer reports, with colleagues from Communication Division or external freelancers.
• Assist with organizing conferences, workshops, and outreach, media, and other events.
• Develop and expand EPTD presence online using social media tools.
• Tracking the impact of EPTD research by monitoring media and scholarly publications for citations and collecting web, social media, and other statistics.
• Facilitating within-division learning on communication and outreach activities, and working on EPTD-related interdivisional and institute-wide communication-learning activities.
• Develop relationships and links with other agriculturally-related programs, tools, and knowledge platforms (within IFPRI and externally).
• Develop and expand outreach and policy influence through appropriate communications products and tools.
• Liaising and maintaining relations with partner organizations and helping to identify new partnership opportunities.
• Other duties as necessary.
• Master’s degree in Communications, Journalism, International Affairs/Development or related field or equivalent experience.
• Minimum of three years’ relevant work experience, preferably with an international organization.
• Excellent written and verbal English communication skills.
• Ability to convey scientific and research information to diverse audiences in an engaging and concise manner.
• Ability to interact professionally with a diverse employee population and with all levels of staff and management.
• Highly output-focused and conscientious with a strong attention to detail.
• Ability to work independently and multitask under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
• Knowledge of social networking and web 2.0 tools.
• Some experience with working with Indesign.
• Knowledge of, and interest in, international development issues.
• Willingness and ability to travel.