The Communications Specialist is chiefly accountable for both internal and external communications distinguished by superlative professionalism and excellence. Initial responsibilities include review and management of the Senior Vice President's (SVP) electronic and hard copy correspondence; calendar management and assuring backup to attend meetings for SVP when not available, as needed. This position is also expected to accompany the SVP to meetings as required take meeting notes and execute appropriate follow-up on action items.
The scope of this position includes working collaboratively with senior and administrative staff members and a wide array of University professionals. Must be extremely organized, stay ahead of the curve, multitask effectively and step up to a variety of tasks, from mundane to creative.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
Duties and Responsibilities
Arizona Board of Regents Minimum Qualifications
- Individually respond to letters, messages and high priority correspondence to diverse constituencies using a variety of communication tools including face-to-face, written, visual, and electronic communications;
- Collaboratively work with central office professionals, campus partners and third party affiliates to create uniformed communication materials, policy revisions, proposals and presentations;
- Provide executive-level support, relieving the administrator of matters of detail, by developing and writing various documents including agendas, supporting materials for meetings and/or presentations, bios, recommendations, internal communication, talking points and other public information materials as needed on SVP's behalf;
- Collaboratively manage calendar for the SVP using sound judgment in determining priorities and overseeing all engagements. Schedule conferences and appointments, and provide pertinent information for meetings and presentations;
- Attend meetings as directed, take minutes and follow up on important projects and assignments to completion;
- Act as liaison for ABOR activities with a primary focus of Board material coordination, and submittal of drafts for review prior to submittal to the Board;
- Serve in the Campus Emergency Response Team as the primary support to the SVP. May include activities outside of normal work hours based on timing of emergency situation;
- Provide back up support to the Executive Associate in relation to central office file management;
- Other duties as required.
Not applicable for this position.
Additional Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in communications, public relations or journalism AND three years of executive-level communication experience.
- Demonstrated excellence in verbal, written and editing skills.
- Ability to take initiative, anticipate needs and work independently.
- Ability to work effectively to meet short-range and long range-goals and objectives.
Pre-employment Screening Requirements
- Experience in communications at an organization of significant size and complexity.
- Experience working in a team environment.
- Experience with multimedia (photo and video).
- Ability to learn about and utilize new technology.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
The University of Arizona conducts pre-employment screening for all positions, which includes a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and work history. In addition, a check of names and identification documents is conducted on all new employees to ensure they are legally authorized to work in the United States.
What kind of criminal background check is required for this position?
This position is security sensitive due to title or department and requires a finger-print criminal background check
Supplemental Pre-Employment Screening
CDL DOT Employment Verification
Administrative and Professional
Clerical and Office