Installation and Maintenance, Frame, Splicing and Cable Maintenance - this position is for an all around combination technician.
Job Responsibilities :
To learn more about CenturyLink jobs, please watch these videos on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/centurylinkjobs
- Analyze and troubleshoot basic technical problems or issues.
- Review and discuss service order requirements and equipment requests with customers, evaluating customers’ telecommunication needs and suggesting additional/alternative service as appropriate.
- Install, maintain/repair, and test residential/small business telecommunication service (POTS, Hicap circuits and HSI).
- Initiate or perform cable cuts, transfer projects, and/or load balance cuts, and issues necessary to prevent blocking.
- Run cross-connects.
- Review, interpret and work with information on trunk orders, facility orders, message trunk orders, network design orders and/or circuit layout orders.
- Routinely inspect all parts of the frame for breaks or loose equipment.
- Test and check equipment and/or assist other employees in doing so.
- Maintain daily frame logs for work unit credit, and files service orders
- Connect, disconnect, remove, rearrange and maintain wires inside a central office.
- Make splicing rearrangements on existing facilities in buried, underground, aerial and building work locations.
- Perform splicing functions on all other types of outside plant facilities where cable sheath openings are required.
- Connect wires and cables to terminals, and attache/detache various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings, and poles.
- Use hand tools, power tools, and specialty tools, including electric and electronic measuring devices (e.g., multi-meters, volt-ohm meters).
- Perform continuity and/or conformance testing.
- Read and interpret customer service orders, repair tickets, technical (i.e., mechanical, electrical, digital) drawings, maps, blueprints, diagrams, etc. from supervisor or other designated employees and performs specified work.
- Work with telecom color-coded wires and cables.
- Repair cut cable of all sizes.
- Actively support sales and marketing related activities through the iLead Program
The selection process will be governed in accordance with the local collective bargaining agreement. The closing date for the submission of bids is: November 27, 2012
BASIC Qualifications :
PREFERRED Qualifications :
- At least six (6) months of experience within the last five (5) years installing, maintaining/repairing, and testing residential/small business service, both POTS and HSI.
- At least six (6) months of experience within the last five (5) years connecting telecom color-coded wires and cables to terminals, attaching or detaching various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings and poles.
- Previous experience on a cosmic or conventional (MDF) frame.
- Knowledge of basic electricity as it relates to telecommunications including basic principles, theories, and applications of electricity.
- Working knowledge of hand and power tools.
- Working knowledge of test equipment (e.g., Tech Tad, Sidekick, volt-ohm meters, transmission measuring sets, HST-3000).
- Ability to use established electrical, digital, and/or mechanical principals to perform appropriate tests which identify and solve problems encountered on the job.
- Ability to efficiently and accurately work with multiple types of information and/or perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to complete designated amount of work in a specified timeframe, adjusting work assignments or schedules to meet changing work-related priorities or demands.
- Ability to provide efficient, quality service to both internal and external customers.
- Ability to work well with others, as well as work independently in the field with little supervision.
- Ability to perceive differences in telecom wire and cable color.
- Ability to climb and work at elevations exceeding 18 feet.
- Ability to work in confined spaces (e.g., attics, crawl spaces, utility holes).
- Ability to lift objects weighing over 100 pounds.
- Ability to work outdoors in extreme weather conditions.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills for communicating CenturyLink’s products and services to customers
- Ability to work varying shifts and hours including possible mandatory overtime, weekends, holidays and call-outs.
- Possession of a valid State driver’s license with a current satisfactory driving record.
- At least 12 months of experience within the last five (5) years installing, repairing/maintaining, and testing residential/small business/government telecommunication service (POTS and HSI), including Design Services.
- At least 12 months of experience within the last five (5) years connecting telecom color-coded wires and cables to terminals, attaching or detaching various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings and poles.
- At least 12 months of experience within the last five (5) years splicing copper and fiber in an underground, aerial, or buried environment.
- At least 12 months of experience within the last five (5) years maintaining, service and monitoring air pressure systems and dryers in all environments.
- At least 6 months of experience within the last five (5) years on a cosmic or conventional (MDF) frame.
- Ability to read, review, interpret and understand technical documents (schematics, drawings, blueprints, layouts).
- Prior experience working on a computer in a Windows-based system and with Microsoft Outlook.
- Prior experience using a body belt and safety straps.
- Pole-climbing certification.
CenturyLink is an industry-leading provider of communications, high speed Internet and entertainment services from coast to coast. Our combination of business and residential service solutions – including home and wireless voice solutions and digital television – provide innovative solutions to our customers. CenturyLink is proud to be a participant in the U.S. General Services Administration Networx program, the largest communications services contract in the world. CenturyLink offers you the opportunity to develop and cultivate your career as we lead the communications industry into the future.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
CenturyLink is the third largest telecommunications company in the United States and is recognized as a leader in the network services...