This position is designed for a creative, energetic individual who is interested in promoting resident participation in community and local government. The position will perform administrative work in providing strategies, planning, facilitation, and development services to Town management and departments, and is tasked with creating and implementing a long-term community engagement plan. Position also serves as a volunteer coordinator by recruiting, managing, placement, and retention of volunteers.
Examples of Duties:
• Create and implement a community engagement system and strategy.
• Develop staff skills at all levels of the organization to create a culture of engagement.
• Leverage the use of technology to gain efficiencies and enhance two-way communication between government and residents.
• Develop mechanisms to assist residents in understanding public issues.
• Review and evaluate engagement systems and activities and make enhancements to improve effectiveness.
• Identify potential community partners and build lasting and reciprocal relationships.
• Use training, one-on-one interviews, and small group meetings and other techniques to facilitate engagement of residents in taking initiative to solve community problems.
• Provide assistance in coordinating volunteers for high priority projects.
• Maintain accurate records and prepare reports related to program activities.
• Explain to superiors and elected officials the status of or issues involved in activities.
Bachelor's degree preferred, with 2-4 years work experience in related field; Valid driver's license; P osition requires a broad skill set centered around cultural awareness, human development and group dynamics; Basic u nderstanding of policy and context and the role of local government; Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; Ability to make public presentations; ability to independently plan, organize, and prioritize work.
The person holding this position will typically work regular hours but at times will be required to work nights, weekends, and holidays as necessary to complete assigned duties and responsibilities. Work is performed in a variety of settings including offices, community meetings, and businesses. Frequent independent travel throughout the Town is required.