Under the direction of the Senior Director of Planning & Community Engagement, this position is responsible for coordinating and implementing the FAIM (Family Assets for Independence in Minnesota or Individual Development Accounts) program by recruiting clients, assessing situations, developing and implementing a strategy to achieve their individual goals, counseling clients, coordinating and teaching related classes, and developing marketing materials. The position will be expected to be a generalist on all Community Engagement programs and teach financial literacy classes in rotation with other staff members.
Essential Functions (Not All Inclusive)
- Assist participants with the development of a goal plan specific to the participants individual needs and resources.
- Provide financial, personal and vocational coaching for identified goals. Identify and assist with access to available resources for goal attainment.
- Provide and document advocacy activities on behalf of eligible participants/customers when funds are unavailable or inadequate to resolve crisis. Assist in achieving/sustaining self-sufficiency (e.g. vendor negotiation, referrals, one-on-one meetings, and follow up with other human service organizations).
- Maintain a quality customer service process for crisis intervention and educate participants/customers on payment plans, county assistance, and additional resources.
- Coordinate and facilitate financial education classes including preparing and updating curriculum materials.
- Provide monthly financial coaching on budgeting, credit repair, and debt and financial management as needed.
- Organize and maintain program files that will be compiled for accurate outcome goal reporting.
- Write reports that will accurately report program outcomes.
- Assist Supervisor with researching, developing, drafting and editing of communication materials.
- Establish and maintain collaboration with other Community Actions services, emergency services providers and community resources to better meet the needs of participant/customer base needs.
- Attend staff meetings, other meetings, workshops and program-specific training sessions when appropriate.
- Identify opportunities and provide work direction for volunteers to increase our capacity to meet goals.
- Bachelor's degree in a Human Services or related field with 3 years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
- Must have demonstrated knowledge of financial planning, interviewing case management, and assessment skills.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills, including collaborating with a team, working across program areas, disseminating information effectively and conflict resolution.
- Experience interacting with individuals from diverse ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Experience facilitating adult group learning required.
- Knowledge of credit reports, budgeting, and financial management preferred.
- Must have effective verbal and written communication skills. Public speaking skills preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of community resources preferred.
- Must be able to handle difficult customers and respond to their complaints or situations.
Community Engagement Specialist
Planning & Community Engagement
M-F, 40 hours/week
Job Posting Dates
June 26 - July 12, 2013
Community Action offers an excellent benefits package, including health, dental, life insurance, 403(b) retirement account, generous vacation/pto policy, and employee discount programs.
Community Action's Self-Sufficiency services are designed to assist participants and their families with choices that will lead to...