Community Liaison Specialist
Forest Resources & Environmental Science
Main Campus (Houghton, MI)
Full-Time Equivalent (1.0=100%)
Salary or Hourly Rate
Salary or Hourly Rate Negotiable Based on Experience and Qualifications (No less than $16.00 hour)
Position Duration Dependent on External Funding?
Title of Position Supervisor
Director of Development and Outreach
Position Summary Information
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Description Summary
The Community Liaison Specialist oversees the design, printing, and mailing of newsletters and participates in writing and editing newsletter content. The Community Liaison Specialist will update and design the SFRES websites in accordance with the University’s content management system. This position will facilitate the planning and coordination of special events for alumni, faculty, staff and students of the School as well as perform outreach and student recruitment for SFRES programs.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Maintain School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science’s websites and social media components.
2. Plan annual SFRES alumni reunion in coordination with the University’s alumni office and administrative staff in the School. Participate in the selection of theme and location, plan menu and program, design invitation, publish, and mail invitations.
3. Plan, coordinate, and act as host at perennial and special events including student holiday socials, donor recognition events, banquets, award ceremonies, graduation breakfasts, and other special events.
4. Oversee design, publication, printing, and distribution of School’s newsletters and other seasonal publications.
5. Participate in writing and editing of newsletter and other publications.
6. Distribute job vacancy announcements to students.
7. Apply safety-related knowledge, skills, and practices to everyday work.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Supervision may be exercised over graduate and undergraduate student employees.
Required Education (minimum requirements)
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
Extensive experience using personal computers including word processing and spreadsheet software.
Knowledge of the field of natural resources.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in natural resources field.
Demonstrated experience in web site design.
Demonstrated knowledge of desktop publishing and image processing software.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
Excellent interpersonal and oral/written communication skills.
Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize multiple projects concurrently with attention to detail and accuracy.
Demonstrated customer service and networking skills.
Demonstrated ability and willingness to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends.
Demonstrated ability to handle public contacts with courtesy and diplomacy.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
Demonstrated ability to work independently and take initiative to solve problems.
Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty and staff.
Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment.
Language, Mathematical, and/or Reasoning Skills
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
Posting Detail Information
Internal & External Posting
Internal Posting Date
External Posting Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
Michigan Technological University - 12 months ago
Michigan Tech (www.mtu.edu) is ranked among the top public universities in the country by U.S. News & World Report. The university has...