- The Greater Boston Synagogue Organizing Project is a nationally recognized initiative of the Jewish Community Relations Council of Greater Boston, to engage local synagogues in social justice organizing. GBSOP identifies, trains and mentors synagogue leaders to develop and implement campaigns on issues of critical concern, both on a local and regional level, in partnership with other faith communities. On a broader level, GBSOP seeks to transform synagogues and the Jewish community through organizing.
General Statement of Duties
Responsible for organizing several synagogues, i.e. identifying and training leaders, providing support in congregational development and implementation of issue campaigns. Functions as part of JCRC’s organizing team and in collaboration with the Greater Boston Interfaith Organization (GBIO), our local broad based organizations.
Associate Director (additional mentoring will be provided through JCRC Organizing Team)
- Identification and Development of Leaders. Through multiple individual meetings with congregational members, clergy and leadership, identify leaders and support them in forming core teams that will function as the engines to organize the congregations.
- Training. Provide training as needed on a range of topics associated with organizing, for congregational staff and lay leaders.
- Mentoring. Provide support and guidance in developing issue campaigns and political strategies. Campaigns may include congregational development and issues internal to the congregations, as well as political campaigns, with local or broad-based partners.
- Partnerships. Develop and maintain strong collaborative relationships with organizing partners; GBIO and potentially others.
- JCRC Social Justice Team. Participate as member of Social Justice Team and provide organizing resources as needed to team members.
- Youth Organizing. Depending on interest and experience of candidate, this position may include organizing young leaders.
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of two years’ experience in organizing, ideally in broad based organizing.
- Working knowledge of Jewish community and synagogue culture.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to identify, develop and mentor staff and leaders
- Keen political understanding
- Strong Jewish background and commitment to building a strong and vibrant community
- Willingness to work evenings and Sundays as needed
- Sense of humor!
Please send resume and cover letter to Jean Connolly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please respond by 11/20/2012
Jewish Community Relations Council of Greater Boston - 17 months ago
copy to clipboard