Barnes & Noble is looking for people with vision and energy to help us in our quest to change the future of reading. We are the world's largest bookseller and one of the world's fastest growing digital media and consumer technology companies with annual revenues near $7 billion.
Barnes & Noble stores average 25,000 square feet, carrying up to 200,000 titles, and servicing tens of millions of customers weekly. The stores feature the best service, depth of selection and comfortable settings, including lounge chairs and reading tables. Open seven days a week, the stores have evolved to become a place for consumers to learn about digital reading and NOOK, as well as destinations for the widest selection of educational Toys & Games with the roll-out of the new Toys & Games departments. The company is also the leading seller of most popular magazine titles, and through its cafes sells more Starbucks coffee than anyone other than Starbucks themselves.
We are investing in all of our business initiatives, so the opportunities to make an impact have never been greater.
As a Community Relations Manager (CRM), you develop and execute an effective, results-oriented community relations program to maximize sales growth and increase customer traffic through outreach. You reinforce our bookselling culture, world-class customer service focus, digital initiatives, and merchandising standards. You represent Barnes & Noble, cultivating existing business, generating new opportunities, and helping make us a cornerstone in the communities we serve.
- Drive and increase sales by consistently promoting in-store and off-site events, institutional business, national programs, special events programming, and community outreach.
- Initiate meetings and conduct presentations with representatives of schools and nonprofit arts, literacy, and literary organizations to cultivate existing accounts and to generate new business.
- Create quality in-store bookfair programs using analysis to drive increased sales and profitability.
- Analyze department sales to identify growth opportunities, developing strategies and action plans in partnership with the store manager promoting company initiatives and increasing store sales.
- Identify business opportunities by conducting research within the community; implementing programs to serve and satisfy the needs of local customers.
- Coach and communicate with the store team about all our products and services, enthusiastically model selling behavior, share technical knowledge, and provide recommendations about ways to connect our customers with the right solutions or products.
- Determine appropriate store events, reading groups, and book signings within the defined company guidelines.
- Complete all orders by using proper fulfillment and loss prevention procedures in accordance with Integrated Store Operations (ISO) standards.
- Maintain the calendar of events, handle media relations, and execute all events.
- Act with integrity and trust, promoting our bookselling culture and core values when interacting with the store team and customers.
- Maintain a calm demeanor and manage issues professionally and according to store operating, and company standards, setting a positive example.
- You are sales driven, perseverant, and able to accomplish goals with energy and drive.
- You use your knowledge of the industry and community to assess current programs and identify opportunities to drive sales.
- You can anticipate and adjust for problems and roadblocks, allowing you to realistically plan your workload.
- You have effective presentation skills and are capable of influencing your audience in both formal and informal settings.
- You listen effectively and communicate clearly, establishing a presence and successfully adapting your style in any situation.
- You relate easily to people, building rapport and collaborative working relationships with your clients, your peers, and the store team.
- You are tactful and diplomatic, seeking feedback to ensure that you build constructive and effective partnerships.
- You comply at all times with the Standards, Policies and Code of Business Conduct and Ethics set out in the Bookseller Handbook.
- You should have experience in one or more of the following fields: sales (preferably in retail), education, marketing, fundraising and development, or public relations.
- As a CRM, you will spend approximately 50-60% of your time traveling to and attending client meetings.
- You must possess solid computer skills, including Excel, Word, email, and Internet navigation.
- You should have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Our stores are open daily, which may require early morning, evening, weekend, and holiday availability.
- Store events may require some additional availability or physical activity, including maneuvering around the store and lifting.
Barnes and Noble is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
Barnes & Noble - 12 months ago
Barnes & Noble College Booksellers is the scholastic subsidiary of Barnes & Noble (B&N), the nation's #1 bookstore chain....