Under general direction, is responsible for providing leadership and direction in the administration of processes related to the City's Ethics Code. As required, ensures compliance with regulations and controls by examining and analyzing records, reports, operating practices; conducting internal monitoring and auditing; responding promptly to detected offenses and developing corrective action.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provides leadership and direction in the administration of processes related to the City's Ethics Code.
- Assumes the responsibility to reduce the City's vulnerability to fraud, abuse, and waste.
- Receives and promptly transmits to the ERB all complaints and responses filed with the City Clerk's Office.
- Reviews complaints for sufficiency; and investigates and presents to the ERB the evidence bearing upon a complaint. Recommends acceptance or rejection of complaints made to the ERB; and requests additional information from complainant as needed.
- Conducts or directs the internal investigation of compliance issues; and identifies compliance issues that require follow-up or investigation. Maintains documentation of compliance activities and investigation outcomes.
- Conducts periodic compliance internal reviews of political contributions and financial disclosure documents to identify conflicts of interest and other issues associated with the City's solicitation for high-profile discretionary contracts.
- Conducts audits of a random sampling of other contracts, and reports findings to the City Manager, City Attorney, City Internal Auditor, City Council Audit Committee, and ERB for appropriate action.
- Prepares and presents audit results to City Manager, City Attorney, City Internal Auditor, City Council Audit Committee, and ERB.
- Coordinates activities with the City Council High Profile Contracts accountability Committee as necessary.
- Develops and implements a comprehensive training program for the officials and employees of the City on the provisions of the Ethics Code, Municipal Campaign Finance Code, City Charter (Section 141) and the Texas Local Government Law (Section 171).
- Provides briefing and information to each new registrant on Division 5 (lobbyists) of the Ethics Code.
- Serves as a confidential point of contact for employees to communicate with management, seeks clarification on issues dilemmas or report irregularities.
- Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS :
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with coursework in Business Administration, Management, Human Resources or related area.
- Five (5) years of experience managing ethics compliance program, audit, regulatory or investigations.
- Valid Class "C" Texas Driver's License.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS :
- Physical Requirements include occasional lifting/carrying of 5 pounds.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Master's Degree in Business Administration or J.D.
- Certified Compliance & Ethics Professional (CCEP) or progress towards
obtaining a related certification.
- Knowledge and understanding of municipal ethics, procurement, and campaign finance ordinances.
- Knowledge of pertinent Federal, State and Local laws, ordinances and regulations.
- Knowledge of technical and management report writing procedures and techniques.
- Skill in operating a personal desktop and laptop computers and related equipment, including scanners, printers, etc.
- Skill in working with the Microsoft Office, Visio, desktop publishing, project management, and other business applications.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to analyze and interpret legislative, statutory, regulatory, and legal language.
- Ability to gather relevant information and document results effectively by identifying the objective, scope, source, results, and conclusions.
- Ability to meet deadlines and adjust to changes in policies, procedures, and priorities.
- Ability and willingness to take initiative to address problems and make continuous process improvements.
- Ability to enforce and educate staff in Compliance areas, including established ethics and codes of conduct.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, City Council Members and their staff, City Management and their staff, vendors, and contract service providers.
- Ability to maintain highest degree of confidentiality and professionalism in all aspects of the job.
- Ability to perform all the physical requirements of the position.
When you "Remember the Alamo," don't forget San Antonio! The second-largest Texas city (behind Houston), with a population...