Cobham's values of Trust, Talent and Technology have driven us from our launch in 1934 by Sir Alan Cobham, an aviation innovator, to becoming a global leader in state-of-the-art aerospace and defense systems. And it’s the insights of our innovators today that will secure our collective future. Innovators like you.
Cobham is one of the world's leading companies engaged in the development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defense systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
We are a global leader in the electronic warfare, radar, missile, communication and space marketplace, moving information between sensors and decision makers. Worldwide we employ more than 12,000 people. We believe that being a world leader starts from within. We celebrate innovation and teamwork, and we foster a culture of respect and diversity. Our open door policy encourages valued input from our employees and our organizational growth stems from their contributions and development.
Component Engineer III
will interface between component, production suppliers, Engineering, Manufacturing, Quality Assurance and Purchasing departments by sourcing, selecting, and qualifying components to be used within the company’s technology; will establish policies and procedures for material procurement; investigate alternate component technologies, cost reduction methods, improving quality and reliability and overall customer satisfaction. This position is located in San Diego, CA and no relocation is available.
- Identify, evaluate, qualify and document critical microwave material and components; coordinate component selection, procurement, inspection and application activities by publishing parts and materials design standards and procurement control documents; establish and maintain component identification data in the Enterprise Resources Planning (ERP) and Product Data Management (PDM) systems;
- Develop procedures and assist microwave engineers in locating new and/or replacement materials and identification of alternative technologies.
- Establish and maintain reliability guidelines and develop program specific reliability documents as required; review preliminary parts lists for component issues, supported by stress and reliability analysis as required; conduct stress and reliability analysis.
- Review bid and proposals for non-standard component selection and test requirements; identify exceptions and recommend alternative to satisfy goals using company material procedures; understand how proposed component lead times support material acquisition requirements of project schedules and milestones.
- Manage Diminishing Manufacturing Sources and Material Shortages (DMSMS) program to identify and track obsolete material and shortages; support Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) department with failure analysis and corrective actions.
- Ensure specifications and inspection standards of components used in deliverables are consistent with the applicable requirements and specifications.
- Participate as a member of the Supplier Control Action Board (S-CAB); define procedures for addition of components to parts list and provide technical support for performing supplier surveys; develop technical requirements to determine the capabilities of suppliers to provide components and materials.
- Participate in safety training and actively comply with safety policies and practices; maintain a clean and safe workstation.
- Participate in Lean/Six Sigma activities in own work area as well as events for other areas to enhance cross-functional problem solving.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population (M/F/D/V). See all of our latest opportunities at
- Minimum of six years of experience with product support of RF or Microwave component and system producer.
- Experience with development and testing of active or passive component parts and performing reliability predictions and component stress analysis.
- Knowledge of RF/Microwave parameters and test procedures; knowledge of passive component and semi-conductor device physics; knowledge of component fabrication processes used in the microwave industry.
- Knowledge of Statistical Process Control (SPC) and experience in performing failure analysis.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Physics.
or follow us on LinkedIn.
Engineering - General
Cobham Microwave Electronics San Diego
In the aerospace and defense industries Cobham is all over the map. Serving customers in more than a hundred countries, Cobham provides...