EchoStar is looking for Component Engineer who has the ability to identify and analyze electronic components and custom sub-assemblies with emphasis in the fields of Digital, Analog, and RF electronics. You will be responsible for writing Specification Documents of critical parameters for these components, resolve sustaining component issues, and the support of multi-sourcing and product qualification. The right candidate must be able to meet aggressive cost and schedule goals though collaboration across engineering and business disciplines, including Electrical Design, Mechanical, and Test engineers, Quality, Supply Chain Management, manufacturing, and program managers.
Headquartered in Englewood, CO, EchoStar is a billion dollar company with over 5,000 employees worldwide and more than 25 years of experience designing, developing and distributing award-winning television set-top boxes, services and related delivery products for television. EchoStar Corporation (NASDAQ: SATS) is a premier global provider of satellite operations and digital TV solutions that enhance today's home entertainment lifestyle. It’s wholly owned subsidiary, Hughes, is the world's leading provider of satellite broadband for home and office, delivering innovative network technologies and managed network services for enterprises and governments in more than 100 countries.
Among the many offerings of this combined powerhouse in broadband data and video are HughesNet®, the market's #1 high-speed satellite Internet service; Sling Media's award-winning SlingLoaded® technology; Move Networks' adaptive bit-rate streaming technology; and Troppus’ software suite that combines a Client Application, an Agent Application and a powerful Semantic Knowledge Management System.
- Works with design engineering to identify components required for new and existing products.
- Creates new part numbers and approved vendor lists.
- Identifies additional component manufacturers.
- Occaionally audits vendors for technical capabilites and process controls
- Coordinates component qualifications with various engineering groups.
- Develop component test requirements.
- Periodically meets with vendors to obtain information regarding new technologies and lower-cost solutions to current designs.
- Creates internal specifications based on design and component requirements
- Works with Supply Chain Management, vendors, and the contract manufacturer’s when there are supply issues to identify alternate components to avoid production line stoppage.
- Monitor and track all product costs down to the component level.
- Identify cost reduction opportunities on electro-mechanical components.
- Develop component and commodity cost models and projections.
- BSEE or BSEET or equivalent preferred but will consider a 4-year Technical degree or some combination of formal education with related experience.
- Must have 2+ years’ experience as a component engineer with familiarity of Digital, RF, A/V, and electro-mechanical components.
- Consumer electronics knowledge a plus.
- High volume manufacturing experience a must.
- Must be knowledgeable of raw material and commodity markets that affect component costs.
- Proven experience researching component materials to determine the best design versus cost points.
- Must be knowledgeable of component information like solder profiles, moisture sensitivity levels and maximum temperatures.
- Experience with RoHS, Reach, UL, and other regulatory component requirements required. Familiarity with Agile CM a plus.
- Must have experience with AutoCAD software.
- Expert at developing and managing Excel spreadsheets.
- Ability to identify cost reduction opportunities at a component level.
- Must possess strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Must be detailed oriented.
- Must possess strong organizational and communication skills.
- Must be skilled at multi-tasking
Additional Details Benefits of the position:
- Incentive revenue sharing plan
- Medical, Health Savings Account, dental and vision insurance
- Flexible spending options and Employee Assistance Plan
- 401(k) and Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Employee Referral Program
- Training opportunities
- FREE DISH Network Satellite TV System and Programming
- FREE Hughes Network Service
- 50% Discounts on Sling technology and service
- Corporate discounts for retail and personal travel
- Opportunity for a level of responsibility that could take years to reach in other companies
EchoStar Corporation (EchoStar) operates two primary business units: Digital Set-Top Box business and Satellite Services business. Digital...