Creators of data-driven, scientific solutions—
The Information Operations Analytics Program (IOAP) is seeking contributing members of a dynamic team of independent/entrepreneurial computer scientists and engineers. Projects cover a range of systems, applications, technologies, and research in areas with critical national security interest.
Who we are?
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) is one of the most prestigious research institutions in the world. LLNL is a “first-class” laboratory for science and technology solutions to the toughest and most important problems affecting national and global security. Right now the nation faces tremendous challenges; many of them related to national, economic, energy, and environmental security.
Successfully meeting these challenges will require innovative and game-changing new science and technology discoveries and solutions.
At LLNL, teams of physicists, chemists, biologists, engineers and other researchers work together to achieve technical innovations and scientific breakthroughs and transform these advances into solutions to nationally important problems.
We are recognized for our excellence in business and operations and our responsible stewardship of the resources entrusted to us.
What You Will Do?
Successful candidates will have:
- Collaborate with scientists and researchers to generate practical solutions within Global Security programs.
- Design, implement, deploy, and maintain software systems using object-oriented analysis, design, and programming techniques.
- Create data analysis algorithms to address program and sponsor requirements for data sciences.
- Interact with other developers to share relevant knowledge, opinions, and recommendations, working to fulfill deliverables as a team.
- Develop and integrate components, such as web-based user interfaces, access-control mechanisms, and commercial indexing products, to create an operational information and knowledge discovery system.
- MS in computer science or a related field.
- Knowledge of high-performance computing, scientific-data analysis, knowledge discovery, computer security, and/or large-scale data management.
- Skilled in all aspects of software project life cycle, including development experience in C++ or JAVA, Linux, UNIX, and Windows environments.
- Expertise in networking, communications protocols, operating systems, system vulnerabilities, or computer security.
- Experience with data-analysis algorithms, data-management approaches, relational databases, and machine learning algorithms.
Additionally, candidates will have a proven background in:
- Creating high quality, accurate and meaningful reports with strong visualizations that interpret highly technical work into simplified concepts.
- Collecting and utilizing data for recommendations and decision making as well as knowledge of working with and assessing relevant data.
- Working collaboratively with a wide variety of stakeholders, willing to take risks and develop strategies for creating innovative solutions.
- Solving tough problems in the national interest utilizing big data and machine learning technologies.
- Gaining technical credibility by identifying, understanding and properly interpreting complex concepts through applying logical thinking and quantitative methods.
- Effectively meeting customer needs; building productive networks and taking ownership for customer satisfaction.
- Being stimulated by peer-to-peer technical challenges and collaborations.
- Finding motivation for continuous learning and growth as well as assimilating and applying new job related information in a timely manner.
- Maintaining positive outlook and work effectiveness even when experiencing changes in work responsibilities, shifting priorities and deadlines as well as the ability to adjust during times of ambiguity.
- PhD in computer science or a related field.
- Demonstrated ability to bring research results into practical use.