Computer Support Center Manager
I. Position Summary:
As Manager you will be responsible for leading, coaching, and directing a team of Computer Support Specialists. You will provide direction and leadership for the Support Center team. You will ensure quality in process execution and adherence to corporate policies. You will manage performance, participate in recruitment and hiring, and contribute to the appraisal and career development processes for each team member. The communication of the team goals and general measurement of the team for achieving customer service excellence is considered a key responsibility.
II. Position Relationships:
A. Responsible to: Director of I.T. Operations
B. Workers Supervised: Computer Support Specialists
C. Interrelationships: Works closely with Network Specialists,
System Analysts, Operations Analysts, Help Desk and hospital technology users with direction by the I.T. Director and Chief Information Officer.
III. Responsibilities and Authorities:
To supervise the design, coordination, development, implementation, training, inventory, and ongoing support of equipment contained within the scope of end-user technology equipment including personal computers, printers, copiers, scanners, software, security, and network connections. Defines service levels and ensures that performance objectives are achieved and takes appropriate action when and it service level agreements are not met. Also maintains all HIPAA, Joint Commission, and licensing requirements for all systems within the scope of this position.
B. Work Performed:
1. Performs other duties as assigned by the department's management staff.
2. As patient care and/or Hospital need dictates, both the assigned shift and work station may be changed by the department.
3. Participates in and promotes the “I CARE Advantage” service philosophy of Integrity, Customer Centered, Accountability, Respect and Excellence.
4. Performs essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodations.
5. Assumes ownership of all activities contained within the scope of this position.
6. Ensures that staff is adequately trained and that they respond to all support calls in a pleasant, timely, efficient manner.
7. Reviews and monitors real time service levels and daily performance reports to ensure that established performance standards are met. Recommends and implements methods and procedures to increase the Support Center's level of productivity, efficiency, and/or quality levels. Presents strategies with documentation to management to improve overall operations.
8. Handles and resolves escalated calls and customer complaints; determines appropriate action.
9. Assists users in determining technology requirements. Review all requests for support of new technologies. Work with requestors to make sure all hospital requirements have been met. Analyze and document necessary changes.
10. Assumes responsibility for the general appearance of work areas, storage areas, equipment closets, and tools and equipment.
11. Maintains skills, abilities, and knowledge of current equipment while keeping abreast of new technology. Investigates new technology as directed. Recommends changes in equipment, design, usage, or layout to decrease cost or better utilize systems.
12. Responsible for the accurate and timely completion and delivery of performance reviews for staff members supervised.
13. Oversees the Installation, configuration, upgrades, preventative maintenance, and problem determination for all hardware and software within the scope of this position. Coordinates application of software upgrades to ensure that all users are using the same version of software and documentation.
14. Is available on a 24 hour basis to respond and resolve all emergency situations.
15. Responsible for monitoring, evaluating, and reporting the status of personal computer applications in accordance with existing policies and procedures.
16. Responsible for the logging, classification, and evaluation of all Information Systems users’ requests in a timely and professional manner utilizing current call logging and reporting system.
17. Maintains call logging and reporting system and provides performance and trending reports to measure productivity of staff.
18. Maintains a detailed and up-to-date knowledge of company workflow processes and escalation paths. Serves as a primary resource and subject matter expert in order to assist staff with technical, service, and procedural inquiries.
19. Makes use of effective time management principles.
20. Manages the following daily Functions:
1. Hardware Software Orders
2. Wyse Deployments
3. Network Drops
4. Electrical Drops
5. Computer Mounts
9. Windows Patches and Updates
10. Hardware life Cycle
11. PC Builds
IV. Performance Factors Used to Evaluate Employee:
A. Demonstrates the ability to work independent of supervision, but also functions well with direct supervision in an office environment.
B. Classifies and evaluates departmental users request for assistance and advice in a professional and timely manner consistent with the standards established by the Information Systems Management Team.
C. Enhances professional growth and development through in-service meetings, educational programs, workshops, conferences, technical literature, etc.
D. Ensures that staff is adequately trained and that they respond to all routine trouble calls in a pleasant, timely, efficient manner.
E. Handles and resolves escalated calls and customer complaints; determines appropriate action.
F. Assumes responsibility for the general appearance of work areas, storage areas, equipment closets, and tools and equipment.
G. Ensures the logging, classification, and evaluation of all Information Systems users’ requests in a timely and professional manner utilizing current call logging and reporting system.
H. Recommends and implements methods and procedures to increase the Support Center's level of productivity, efficiency, and/or quality levels.
I. Develops and maintains acceptable working relationships with technology users and I.T. staff.
J. Maintains all HIPAA, Joint Commission, and licensing requirements for all systems within the scope of this position.
K. Completes all documentation and evaluations for staff members supervised in a timely manner.
L. Promotes an attitude of excellence and service that treats support customers in a calm, courteous, respectful manner.
M. Demonstrates effective use of time management principles.
Associate of Business Management or related field and training and experience as stated below.
B. Training and Experience:
At least 4 or more years of verifiable Staff Management and Computer Support job experience with a strong emphasis on customer service. Extensive background in Management, computer hardware, software, and networking (Windows preferred).
C. Job Knowledge:
People, Time and work Management skills. Advanced knowledge of PC hardware. Experience in Software and Hardware troubleshooting. Ability to work well with people. Must be proficient in personal computer operating systems, and software. Must also be proficient in Windows configuration and operation. Must be able to communicate to peers, subordinates and upper management in an effective and courteous manner. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form; deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Exceptional organization and time management skills. Positive attitude, good judgment and strong work ethic. Ability to work under extreme pressure. Must be a self-motivated person and can demonstrate a proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
D. Reasoning Ability
The level of reasoning skills and abilities needed to successfully accomplish the essential duties of this job are:
1. Must have the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
2. Must have the ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
3. Must have the ability to make sound decisions with minimal guidance.
4. Must have the ability to prioritize functions to ensure all processes are completed
VI. Unusual Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
A. The following physical activities are spent during a major portion of the day and it is a must that a person be in a physical condition in order to accomplish given tasks.
Activity Percentages of Time
Less than 33% Less than 66% Over 66%
Use hands to finger, handle or feel X
Reach with hands and arms X
Climb or balance X
Stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl X
B. The job requires that certain amounts of weight be lifted or force be exerted as noted in the following chart.
Activity Percentages of Time
Less than 33% Less than 66% Over 66%
Up to 10 pounds X
Up to 25 pounds X
Up to 50 pounds
Up to 100 pounds
More than 100 pounds