Researches and evaluates technical issues related to design and fabrication of innovative golf club design concepts under guidance of Sr. Engineers and functional Teams. Organize physical trials of fabrication methods and techniques new or unique to Callaway Golf. Evaluate performance characteristics and helps establish design targets for prototypes and new products. Works on projects from conceptualization into the design and development phase to manage technical issues that interrelate in the areas of performance, construction, and cost.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Evaluate and implement fabrication methods and processes that support innovative designs.
· Assess and mitigate new, unique, and difficult features related to component fabrication.
· Lead project teams for performance, prototype, or innovation related activities under guidance of Sr. Concept Engineers.
· Seek and evaluate external concepts to bring outside technology to golf designs and fabrication.
· Work within company systems for documentation, communication, and work routing.
· Submit patent applications to internal legal department to protect Intellectual Property that may be generated.
· Write reports and present project findings, status, and timelines in project reviews.
· Participate in project teams, using process knowledge, performance knowledge, and other analysis to recommend design strategies.
· Provide cost analysis of construction or performance features to determine production viability.
· Investigate key design parameters and their relationship to product performance.
· Pro-actively interface with the Global Engineering Group on issues related to the production implementation of new performance characteristics and designs.
· Set up robot and player tests and perform statistical analysis of the results.
· Generate technical reports and memos detailing performance analysis and test results obtained.
· Perform structural, vibration, and acoustic analysis of new concepts and designs.
· Measure and evaluate competitors clubs for performance, construction, and general technology.
· Organize physical prototypes via external suppliers, internal prototype capabilities, or by combining both.
· Plan, procure, test, and evaluate physical prototypes to test performance features.
· Act as a technical liaison with external suppliers, internal prototype labs, and internal testing labs.
· Organize the physical measurement and testing of prototypes and samples for verification of performance, durability, and conformance.
· Assess supplier process capability to produce both prototype and production parts.
· Travel as required to supply base, trade shows, both domestically and abroad.
· Maintain awareness of other R&D projects and contribute as necessary.
TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities)
· Knowledge and experience utilizing engineering fundamentals and testing methods.
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
· Ability to work with suppliers in an independent mode to solve technical problems.
· Ability to lead technical meetings and report project status.
· Experience with investment casting, forging, welding, metal finishing, coatings, and/or composites.
· Hands-on background or experience with machining, assembly, finishing, welding, bonding, desirable.
· Experience with injection and compression molding helpful.
· Good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, Powerpoint, required.
· Knowledge of Siemens NX or equivalent CAD program preferred.
· Ability to utilize Finite Element Analysis codes (Hyperworks, LS-DYNA) preferred.
· Basic knowledge of Matlab or equivalent engineering analysis software.
· Basic experience with Siemens TCUA or equivalent PLM system.
· Working knowledge of Six Sigma methods, statistical analysis, Minitab or equivalent.
· Understanding and interest in the game of golf is preferred.
· Previous experience in golf industry helpful.
· Valid US passport required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
· Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Math, Physics, Statistics or equivalent required.
· Minimum 3 years related experience.
Big Bertha gets Callaway Golf swinging. With its flagship driver named after a WWI cannon, Callaway makes premium-priced golf clubs that are...