Operates track switches, couples and uncouples cars and performs other duties associated with the movement of trains, cars and engines in rail yards and on the main railroad. Receives,relays or acts upon oral, written or radio instructions from dispatcher, yardmaster, or other personnel indicating the switch movement, placement or delivery of railroad cars and/or a train.
- Conducts the movement of rail cars and train movements; signals crew member(s) for movement of the engine or train using lantern, hand and/or flag signals or radio to indicate when to start, stop, back-up or set or release air brakes.
- Observes, interprets and relays arm, lantern or radio signals and all other indications affecting movement of a train.
- Operates track switches (visually checks switch condition and direction) to change the direction of the engine or cars within yard limits or on the main railroad; may apply or release hand brakes to switch or perform other duties.
- Reads and understands the book of rules, timetables, bulletins, train orders, waybills, placards, safety instructions and other written or printed material.
- Prepares required daily reports; switch lists - manually or with a computer; fills out forms including train orders.
- Inspects the condition of the train and equipment in movement and while stationary.
- May couple air and electrical connections between locomotives when making up trains.
Education Required or Equivalent Experience: High School Diploma or GED
- Understanding oral communications.
- Recognizing sounds/changes in sounds
- Recognizing colors
- Understanding printed/written information
- Making oneself understood orally
- Judging speed and/or distance of moving objects/parts
- Understanding visual displays
- Taking actions and/or making decisions affecting security and well being of others
- Recalling information required from work activity
- Climbing and balancing
- Judging condition or status of objects/parts
- Exercising physical strength and/or endurance
Education Preferred: Associate's Degree
Related Experience Required: 2 years work experience or equivalent training
Related Experience Preferred: 3 years experience and/or 24/7 work environment with exposure to outside weather conditions
Must have a valid driver’s license
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. - 24 months ago
Genesee & Wyoming (GWI) once relied on the salt of the earth -- hauling salt on a 14-mile railroad for one customer. Now, however, the...