NASPAA, the membership association of 280 graduate schools in public policy and administration is seeking a full-time Conference and Strategic Projects Manager, who will help shape the next generation of NASPAA conferences and projects and be a vital member of our eight person staff.
Conference and Meeting Manager : 50% of the position
For more than 40 years, NASPAA has held an annual conference to gather 300-400 leaders of member schools to help them better run their programs, provide quality education, and serve students and the nation. The conference is our primary in-person event and a focal point of NASPAA activities. We are seeking an individual who can both organize and execute this conference (in close consultation with a volunteer planning committee, conference chair, and other NASPAA staff), while also contributing to an ongoing process to rethink and re-create the conference to better serve our membership.
This position requires an individual capable of performing every aspect of planning, organizing, and directing this small yet high-powered conference. It is critical that a candidate bring to the position (or be able to develop quickly once on board) an expert working knowledge of the goals of the organization and the content of public affairs education. This part of the position requires:
Strategic Projects Manager: 50% of the position
- Creativity, dynamism, and excellent people skills (including working closely—and diplomatically— with busy and high-level academics, program directors, deans, and other NASPAA staff).
- The ability to manage a small but complex conference in an environment of high expectations for professionalism, productivity, and lasting impact.
- The capacity to create and use database information to identify and target conference features and sessions to the needs of our member schools. Experience with database systems is required; knowledge of conference management software and cloud-based service options is required or would need to be rapidly acquired upon assuming the position.
- Working directly with faculty and directors to devise panels and sessions of interest to member schools, and being able to discuss substantive issues with fluency.
- Developing internal and external marketing materials for the NASPAA conference in collaboration with other NASPAA staff and volunteers. Experience with website development software or Content Management Systems is a plus.
- Cultivating and expanding conference sponsorship opportunities and partnerships.
- Building rapport with individual member schools, conference presenters, and sponsors, and responding judiciously and in a timely, professional manner to requests for assistance.
- Demonstrating excellent writing skills, strong organization and communication skills, ability to meet deadlines, accuracy and attention to detail, and strong human resources capabilities.
- Skill in social networking applications.
- Understanding of the continuing education aspects of an annual conference, and ability to support the planning of educational sessions with content specialists.
NASPAA undertakes a variety of projects each year that reflect the executive director and Executive Council’s strategic priorities. This position will be responsible for converting some of these priorities into executable projects that will serve our membership. Recent examples include supporting diversity efforts at our member schools, fostering international partnerships with non-US graduate schools and regional networks, becoming the authoritative source of data in the public affairs education field, and working with federal agencies to accomplish hiring reform for students. This part of the position requires:
- Working directly with the Executive Director to initiate and execute projects of particular strategic interest to the organization.
- Demonstrating creativity and initiative, and a commitment to public service and NASPAA’s mission.
- Project management skills: working with NASPAA staff, committee chairs, and board members to set priorities, calls and meetings; developing and executing work plans and timelines for each project.
- The ability to obtain and analyze data relevant to the project, including fluency in Microsoft Excel and databases including Microsoft Access. Stata/SPSS/SAS knowledge would be a plus.
- Writing clearly, persuasively, and analytically in reports, presentations, and other communications.
- Excellent speaking and presentation skills.
Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes a full benefits package consisting of health insurance, paid vacation, Federal holidays, sick leave, disability insurance, and TIAA-CREF pension contribution. Daily work hours are flexible around a core. Travel is expected to be approximately 10 days per year including required travel to NASPAA’s annual conference. Other travel is under the direction of the Executive Director.
This position reports directly to NASPAA’s Executive Director. The position is located in NASPAA’s offices in the McPherson Square area of Washington, DC. It is a permanent, exempt position, subject to a six month probationary review. NASPAA does not cover relocation expenses. NASPAA is an equal opportunity employer.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed until the position is filled.
January 1, 2013, though we will consider candidates with earlier or later start date interests.
Interested individuals should apply electronically lthrough ASAE, or email a letter of interest and resume to Office Manager Monchaya Wanna at firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Conference and Strategic Projects Manager Position.” The letter of interest should show that the applicant understands NASPAA's mission, as well as the relationship of the applicant's experience, skills, and abilities to NASPAA and position requirements. A limited number of applicants will be selected for interviews; names of references will be required from finalists following initial interviews.
American Society of Association Executives - 22 months ago
The GlobalMPA web portal is created and maintained by the National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration (NASPAA), a...