Under limited supervision, this position will perform a variety of tasks related to preparing the preliminary design and construction of highway projects.
- Prepares, reviews, maintains and files construction project records, estimates and reports.
- Assists in permitting processes to obtain water, gravel, plant site, and surveying agreements and aids in the renewal and file maintenance of these agreements.
- Performs basic engineering calculations.
- Performs engineering and surveying computations such as areas, volumes, material spread rates, slopes, cuts and fills.
- Communicates both internally and externally regarding project information and courses of action/consequences on projects.
- Reviews and learns test methods, manuals, and procedures.
- Ensures that proper equipment and supplies are available and in good working condition.
- Performs more complex lab tests of samples, and documents results for QA/QC purposes.
- Conducts aggregate gradation testing, density testing for earthwork and surfacing, and concrete testing.
- Inspects construction projects.
- Inspects pipe backfill and fill construction.
- Inspects paving operation to ensure compliance with plans and specifications.
- Serves as a resource for other employees; attends and completes all designated training sessions in order to maintain required certifications, performs inspections.
- Tests, samples and reports materials proposed to be used in construction projects.
- Reviews and learns traffic control methods, manuals, and procedures.
- Assists in the investigation of existing roadways for forensic study.
- Assists in gathering samples, providing a safe working zone, flagging, etc.
- Answers phone, provides information and answers questions for the public, contractors, and other WYDOT offices.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge of communication with supervisors and contractors.
- Knowledge of working towards a leadership role.
- Knowledge of computer software, including Microsoft Office and Excel.
- Knowledge of documentation of project records.
- Knowledge of engineering computations/formulas.
- Knowledge of contract time, administration & contract changes.
- Knowledge of material testing, ability to perform complicated computer calculations.
- Knowledge of construction inspection which includes interpretation of plans and specification.
- Knowledge of materials testing, surveying methods and equipment operation.
- Proficient in using scientific calculators.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Work outdoors in a variety of inclement weather conditions to include heat, cold, snow and wet.
- Physical Ability: Bending, stooping and lifting up to fifty pounds; safely lift and move necessary materials from one point to another; ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Potentially exposed to hazardous waste and biological waste.
- Working around high speed traffic and heavy construction equipment.
- Must be available to work Monday through Saturday throughout the year, all daylight hours.
Education: Associate's Degree
Experience: 0-1 year(s) of progressive work experience (typically in Construction and Field Surveying) with acquired knowledge at the level of a(n) Construction & Field
Education & Experience Substitution:
2-4 year(s) of progressive work experience (typically in Construction and Field
Surveying) with acquired knowledge at the level of a(n) Construction & Field
American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) Certification
*Please view the Class Specifications (Class Code TNCF05) and the State required Minimum Qualifications for this vacancy at:
WYDOT offers a competitive benefits package including: Medical, Dental and Life Insurance, paid vacations and sick leave, paid holidays, Tuition Refund Program, State Retirement and Deferred Compensation Program, Longevity pay and opportunities for advancement. Visit us online at www.dot.state.wy.us.
State of Wyoming - 2 years ago