This position organizes and directs maintenance, repair and construction of operations relating to field activities.
Examples of Essential Functions:
(These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related marginal duties as required)
- Directs and coordinates the maintenance repair and installation of City field services.
- Plans tasks so as to provide the most efficient use of manpower and equipment.
- Completes and obtains necessary construction permits.
- Plans, manages and executes utility construction, rehabilitation and replacement projects.
- Coordinates with other City staff for ordering of necessary equipment and materials required to perform construction projects.
- Confers with Superintendent to determine priorities and operating policies.
- Assists in preparing specifications for supplies and equipment.
- Handles training of personnel.
- Suggests methods of installation and alignments of water and sewer lines.
- Assists and cooperates with other field foremen on problems of mutual concern.
- Supervises activities to improve performance and insure safety of operating crews.
- Interviews and recommends applicants for hiring.
- Evaluates performance and training needs of field personnel.
- Responsible for the implementation of safety policies and procedures.
- Responsible for ensuring that employees adhere to department standards and safety protocols.
- Ensures compliance with all federal, state, local, and City rules, regulations, and practices related to safety.
- All employees will have a role in the City's disaster preparation and/or disaster recovery efforts, as may be designated in the City Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Training and Experience
- Knowledge of safety practices in discipline; must be able to recognize hazardous conditions.
- Knowledge of current industry standards and practices in the water & sewer distribution and reuse areas.
- Knowledge of the methods, equipment and materials used in field maintenance, repair and construction.
- Ability to execute a comprehensive work program.
- Ability to direct the activities of work crews engaged in diversified activities.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering plans and specifications.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other municipal officials and officials of other agencies.
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully and courteously with the public.
- Skill in the use of heavy equipment--ie, backhoe, dump truck, etc.
- Knowledge of variety of soils prevalent in the area.
- Ability to supervise and direct field personnel.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
High School diploma or G.E.D. Certificate and five (5) years of experience in water and sewer installation, repair and maintenance.
Licenses, Certifications, or Registrations
Must possess certification for Excavation and Trenching Safety issued by the Seminole County Public Works Academy or by an OSHA approved training program, State of Florida Class "B" Water Distribution and Wastewater Collection System Operator certifications, and Florida Department of Transportation approved Intermediate Level MOT certification.
Must possess and maintain a valid Florida Commercial "B" Driver's License with Air Brakes and Tanker endorsements. A Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) check will be made to determine acceptance of past driving record.
Essential Physical Skills
(Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.)
- Heavy (45 pounds and over) lifting and carrying
- Good vision (with or without correction)
- Good hearing (with or without hearing aid)
- Equipment Operation
- Works inside
- Works outside in various weather conditions with: noise, dust, fumes, gases, odors Chemicals
- Slippery and uneven surfaces
- In or with moving objects and vehicles
- Below ground level
- Poor lighting