One of the largest writers of surety in the United States, HCC Surety Group provides contract, commercial, court and bail bonds to clients of all sizes: from sole proprietors to large publicly-traded companies. Our talented group of professionals is adept at underwriting traditional surety, and possesses the knowledge & creativity to offer solutions for specialty "hard-to-place" risks often dismissed by the surety marketplace at-large.
We have an opportunity for a Construction Funds Control Manager who will lead our Funds Control team. This position is responsible for managing the daily operations of the Construction Funds Disbursement department and will report to our Vice President and Controller.
Relying on broad knowledge and strong leadership skills, the Construction Funds Control Manager is accountable for the following responsibilities:
- Managing the daily operations of funds disbursement department.
- Developing, enhancing, implementing and enforcing policies and procedures to improve financial and IT controls, overall operational effectiveness and SOX compliance
- Creating annual budgets and monthly financial reports as well as ad hoc analyses of operational performance
- Maintaining database for accurate tracking of projects’ status, pricing and percentage of completion
- Develop and implement short-term plans to improve business processes for designated area.
- Provide information on resources and capabilities for the development of longer term plans.
- Communicate team or group plans or results at all organizational levels.
- Prepare written and verbal presentations that educate and inform on area of responsibility/expertise.
- Lead business process improvement for designated area.
- Develop and is accountable for budget of work unit or department.
- Perform cost benefit analyses for designated area.
Business Controls and Policies
- Comply with all corporate policies and procedures.
- Identify control objectives for designated function and implement cost effective controls designed to meet those objectives.
- Test controls to determine if they are performing as intended.
- Has full HR responsibility for direct reports including making hiring decisions, training, coordinating work, establishing standards, reviewing work, conducting performance appraisals and providing coaching or counseling.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance or a related field or the equivalent education and/or experience
- CPA designation highly preferred
- Minimum of eight years of relevant and progressive experience in area of construction accounting and/or contract bond underwriting
- Minimum of five years of leadership experience
- Experience and strong business acumen managing business and agent relations
- Experience and knowledge of insurance claims management preferred
- Experience developing and implementing internal control policies and procedures to ensure SOX compliance
- Public accounting auditing or insurance experience is strongly preferred
- Hands-on Timberline software experience is highly preferred
- Possess and have ability to apply advanced knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with an emphasis on confidentiality, tact, and diplomacy
- Superior organizational and analytical skills; demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Knowledgeable of industry changes, legal updates and technical developments related to applicable area of the Company’s business to proactively respond to changing business environment
- Advanced proficiency and experience using Microsoft Office Package (Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Word)
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
- Overtime hours may be required to fulfill job responsibilities
- May require travel outside normal work location, up to 25% of the time
- May require a valid driver’s license
- May be required to stoop, bend, or sit for extended periods of time
- May be required to lift up to 10 pounds
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and other devices
- Close vision and ability to adjust focus; required to read a computer screen
Note: This document is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed, and is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the job.
HCC Insurance Holdings, Inc. - 18 months ago