Provides general maintenance assistance to an assigned division and/or assists the supervisor and participates in the delivery of unskilled, manual labor to the City of Atlanta. Duties include, but are not limited to the areas of electrical repair work, grounds maintenance, bridge work, concrete and asphalt repairs to include operating jack hammers/hand tools, performing custodial services, outdoor maintenance services, processing paperwork and completing daily task lists.
Examples Of Essential Duties:
When assigned as a Bridge Worker
When assigned as a General Trades Worker
- Maintains and repairs bridges so that bridges can be used by vehicles and/or pedestrians.
- Repairs and installs fences and guard rails to protect vehicles.
- Operates various tools and equipment to install bridges.
- Assists carpenters and welders in the completion of bridge and repair work.
- Communicates with other crew workers to assist in the completion of tasks; communicates with supervisor to obtain instructions and advise; provides assistance to public citizens.
- Operates jack hammer to cut holes in bridges; operates dump truck to haul materials; operates crane to move materials and manlift to work under bridges; uses air compressor to operate jack hammer; uses weed eaters to cut grass; concrete saws to cut holes in streets; saws and drill presses to make forms for concrete work; and other tools as required.
- Utilizes hand tools including shovels, pick axes, hammers, wrenches, and power tools as required.
- Uses various materials such as sand and sandbags, concrete, dirt, paint, and other materials to perform bridge repair.
- Assembles and disassembles scaffolding and ladders so that work may be performed.
- Drills holes in structural steel, guides placement of steel, and bolts steel into place with wrench or impact hammer to construct and repair bridge.
- Attaches cables to piling, sets piling in place, and checks angle of piling with plumb and level so that work is completed accurately.
- Operates sand blasting machine and gunnite machine in refinishing and repairing concrete members.
- Chips, scrapes and brushes steel and then paints steel with paint gun so that steel meets standards.
- Cleans debris from creeks under bridges and performs all necessary cleaning after task is completed.
When assigned as a Laborer , Sr.
- Checks intersection for any damage or blown bulbs, down cables or poles to determine problems.
- Inspects controllers, signal monitors, detectors and other equipment for proper working order.
- Prepares vehicle for shift with proper equipment, bulbs, controllers, detectors, cones and other equipment.
- Operates bucket and vehicle in safe manner.
- Retrieves tools for skilled worker.
- Measures, cuts, and produces boards with power saws; cuts threads and pipes to assist electricians.
- Cleans tools and equipment for proper working condition.
- Operates machines such as drill press to complete assignments.
- Loads and unloads truck equipment; operates vehicle safety devices.
- Pulls cable; installs conduits; mounts signals and street lights.
- Operates truck to get to work location; uses cutting pliers to make or break taps; uses hand tools such as screwdriver to open and close equipment, knife to prepare cable taps, pliers to connect cables.
- Uses tools such as shovel to dig holes, jackhammer to break concrete, bolt cutter to cut cable, hoist to hang aluminum cable and other tools to complete assignments; uses drill press to drill holes in materials; uses pick to
When assigned as a Traffic Service Technician
- May perform a variety of tasks such as, pouring concrete, asphalt repair, point repair, potholes and unpaved streets, digging trenches and installing pipes
- Operates heavy equipment, such as front end loaders and a back hoe in the execution of these duties
- Performs numerous tasks to maintain lawn such as mowing, watering, planting, and fertilizing grass and flowers and yard work
- Operates lawn maintenance equipment such as weed-eater, blower, edger, chain-saw, and push mower to perform tasks safely and correctly; performs minor repairs on equipment as needed
- Performs custodial duties for various buildings, which includes vacuuming, mopping, emptying wastebaskets, etc.
- Loads and unloads equipment and materials
- Clean equipment for proper working condition
- Assist in performing maintenance on all equipment
- Examines blueprints and work orders to complete assignments.
- Distributes and places traffic and pedestrian warning signs and cones to provide safety.
- Responsible for installing, premaking and removing lane lines and center lines to prepare for assignments.
- Installs islands and road markers on roadways in the completion of assignments.
- Replaces buttons/reflectors on roadways to mark roadways for motorists.
- Communicates with employees, supervisors and public to provide information for safety and job completion.
- Installs, repairs and replaces damaged or worn traffic signs and sign supports.
- Works with silk screen and other processes in fabricating traffic and other signs.
- Operates pavement marking equipment and vehicles.
- Operates air drill, sign pole driver, vacuum applicator, volt meter, battery charger, sledgehammer, portable electric generator, and jackhammer.
- Performs repairs and maintenance on paint truck and paint truck equipment including pumps, heaters, pain and glass guns, electrical automatic skip line control box, hydraulic air line, heat exchanger and regulator.
- Utilizes and maintains various tools in performance of tasks such as mechanical tools, plumbing tools, and hand tools.
- Completes daily inventory and work orders to meet information requirements concerning assignments.
- Maintains high standards of accuracy in exercising duties and responsibilities.
- Exercises immediate remedial action to correct any quality deficiencies that occur in areas of responsibility
- Uses proper equipment and safety procedures to ensure a safe workplace.
- Performs described duties and related assignments efficiently and effectively in order to produce quantity of work which consistently meets standards and expectations of the organization.
- Assumes responsibility for doing work and for meeting deadlines.
- Completes assigned work on or before deadlines in accordance with directives, policies, standards and prescribed procedures.
- Flags vehicular traffic in order to provide protection and safety for employees on work site
- Knows how to keep abreast of any changes in policy, methods, equipment needs, etc. as they pertain to departmental operations and activities.
- Is able to effectively communicate and interact with supervisors, members of the general public and all other groups involved in the activities of the Public Works department
- Is able to assemble information and make written reports and documents in a concise, clear and effective manner as required
- Communicates with supervisor to receive instructions and directions regarding work to be completes; communicate with public to answer questions and secure for safety measures; communicates with co-workers to exchange information
- Performs housekeeping duties
- Has general knowledge of the policies, procedures, and activities of the City and Public Works department
- Implements work activity in accordance with priorities and estimates schedules
- Uses work order to document work performed
- Utilizes motorized maintenance equipment
- Assist with warehouse and storekeeper duties as required
- Operates two-way radio.
- High school diploma or GED required;
- One year of construction, maintenance, or related experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
- Required : Must possess a valid Georgia driver's license.
- Preferred: Valid GA commercial driver's license (CDL)
This Position is TEMPORARY
The City of Atlanta is an Equal Opportunity Employer
City of Atlanta, GA - 14 months ago