Construction Management, Transportation
Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years. Globally, Atkins is the largest UK-based engineering and design consultancy and the world's 11th largest design firm with nearly 18,000 employees worldwide. We have the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
At Atkins, we offer our employees more than just a job; we offer an opportunity to shape the world for generations to come through innovative and sound design. As the official engineer of the 2012 London Olympics, few companies can rival the size and diversity of our projects. Whether it’s the concept for a new skyscraper, the upgrade of a rail network, the modeling of a flood defense system or the improvement of a management process, we plan, design and enable solutions.
Atkins seeks an energetic, highly motivated, detail-oriented, self-starter to join our Fairfax, VA staff as a Construction Manager. The candidate will be involved on projects related to NOVA VDOT managing assigned project elements which may involve structures, roadways, and other transportation facilities. The applicant must have significant experience in managing the assigned elements of a construction project to assure the quality of the contractor’s compliance with the plans and contract documents, manage project personnel staffing, project inspection, and contract administration under the direction of the Area Construction Engineers.
Typical duties and responsibilities of this position are:
- Analyzing and interpreting project plans and specifications to ensure project constructability;
- Identifies design errors for the Department;
- Determines impact for both the Department and contractor;
- Interprets unclear contract language;
- Work order time impact analysis, maintain and report contractor’s daily production rates, prepare independent detailed construction estimates;
- Makes recommendations for partial and final contractor payments, monitors project budgets and recommends any needed adjustments to the Area Construction Engineer;
- Supervises and manages inspection personnel and makes recommendations on project staffing.
- Conducts pre-construction conference, utility coordination meetings, construction progress meetings and other types of conferences;
- Writes project management correspondence, and approves or rejects recommendations made by project inspectors.
- Recommends resolution of field construction problems and recommends design changes;
- Works with the project design group, materials, environmental, traffic engineering right of way, the public, and all other parties necessary to meet contract schedules and requirements.
The appropriately qualified candidate will have the following core competencies and required experience: Bachelor's degree in Construction Management, Civil Engineering, or related field and seven years related experience including personnel supervision. Engineering design experience desirable. With Associate's degree, fifteen years of related experience. Without a degree, seventeen years related experience is required.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace.
- Construction Manager is expected to have 10 years of experience in the management of roadway construction projects.
- Considerable knowledge of roadway, structure, traffic engineering, construction methods, procedures, practices, plans, specifications, and contracts;
- Materials used and performance, environmental, legal, and safety responsibilities related to construction of transportation facilities;
- Working knowledge of the VDOT Road and Bridge Specifications, Road and Bridge Standards, Construction Manual, and Inspector Manual;
- Knowledge in the use of electronic data processing equipment and contract management software.
- Skill in the use of survey, nuclear density, and materials testing equipment.
- Ability to supervise and manage employee work groups.
- Ability to interpret roadway plans, specifications, and contracts.
- Ability to prepare technical, financial, administrative, and explanatory correspondence. Recognition as a Certified Construction Manager through the Construction Management Association of America (CMAA) or similar Construction Manager Certification is preferred.
Atkins - 23 months ago
Atkins is one of the world's leading engineering, design and project management consultancies. We have the breadth and depth of expertise to...