HR Green, Inc. (HR Green) is a professional services firm providing workable and sustainable solutions in the Transportation, Water, Energy, Governmental Services and Senior Living markets. With 100+ years of history and a strong focus on future growth, HR Green is looking for exceptional individuals ready to begin the next stage of their professional journey. We are currently seeking a Construction Technician II for our McHenry, IL office .
Under the general direction of engineering and other technical staff, the Construction Technician II independently manages projects with revenue of $50,000 to $500,000 and works with moderately complex plan preparation. This individual is involved in decision making and provides direction to subordinates. The Construction Technician II also keeps supervisors informed of the contractor’s progress (schedule) and any plan changes, ensuring the Client’s desired final product is produced.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
HR Green’s. Completes accompanying forms to ensure the job site is in compliance.
- Reviews plans and specifications to understand the next step in the construction sequence.
- Understands relevant pay items.
- Accurately calculates dimensions and quantities of materials such as steel, concrete, and asphalt without assistance.
- Performs pay item quantification independently.
- Understands specifications as they relate to pay items.
- Utilizes source materials to aid in recommending problem resolutions to the supervisors.
- Understands various aspects of the project (civil, electrical, mechanical).
- Anticipates issues and knows what should happen next in the process.
- Communicates expectations to the contractor.
- Understands material specifications and testing. Makes sure all pay items are constructed within tolerances specified.
- Notifies the contractor when there is excess quantity that will not be paid (i.e. max pay).
- Provides frequent updates to all key stakeholders regarding project changes or concerns.
- Answers client questions about submitted documentation.
- Answers routine technical questions.
- Understands instructions and carries them out.
- Creates IDRs (Inspectors Daily Reports) in detail including documentation of the construction activity, where is it taking place, and measurements.
- Records calculations of pay item quantities, adheres to DOT record keeping system as well as
Education and Experience
Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations
- Associate's degree (A. A.) or equivalent in Construction Management from a two-year college or technical school is required. Bachelor of Science degree in Construction Management or equivalent is preferred.
- 3-5 years of Construction experience is required. 5+ years of construction experience is preferred.
- Must be familiar with documentation requirements and inspection procedures.
- Eagerness to learn new processes and idea is required.
- Experience with DOT documentation, asphalt paving, drainage, layout, piling, structural inspection, bridge construction inspection, concrete paving courses, and training on equipment commonly used in the generation of engineering-related tests is desired.
- Strong time management, communication, and technical skills are required.
The employee must be capable of driving/operating a motor vehicle for company business, and maintain a valid driver’s license in the state of residence.
Relationship to Others
This position may report to the Operations Manager or Project Manager. Has outstanding conflict management and customer focus skills. Maintains composure in stressful situations.
Must possess strong technical verbal and technical writing skills, and be able to read technical literature and engineering/construction plans.
Must be capable of correctly operating computer equipment. Must possess strong analytical and problem solving skills, and be able to apply professional knowledge to the solution of both routine and non-routine tasks and construction activities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to work in extreme weather conditions (heat, cold, snow, rain) for extended periods of time and stand for 8 to 12 hours per day. This work requires standing on uneven terrain. Employees must also be able to and lift a minimum of 30 lbs. (concrete cylinders), sit, walk, talk, hear, and reach with hands or arms. Hand eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and other office equipment as required. The employee is also required to kneel, crouch, and bend.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
HR Green, Inc. - 2 years ago