NewWave Communications, a growing company providing cable television, high speed internet, and digital telephone service, is seeking a Construction Technician for the Brazil IN area.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
Under General Supervision, Performs Work In The New Construction of CATV Plant And Its Repair and Maintenance.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
• Strong Experience Of Transferring Existing Cable Attachments From One Pole To Another.
• Strong Experience Of New Build Construction & Activation, For New Aerial and Underground Extensions.
• Read System Prints And Place/Splice Cables, Actives/Passives According To Prints.
• Ability To Design Forward & Reverse Signal, For Forced Relocation Projects.
• Self Starter, As Well As A Team-Worker.
• Skilled In Using Microsoft Excel, Word, & Outlook.
• Dig trenches and fills ditches; buries cable; places cable in trenches and through conduit.
• Prepare underground system plant for repairs; includes locating, trenching, pot holing, backfill, and repair or replacement of conduits, poles, risers or pedestals Install rigid and semi rigid coaxial cable, includes pole line construction and underground installation of rigid and semi rigid coaxial cable in conduit or direct buried.
• Install equipment used to house CATV equipment Ground plant, or place rod or wire to serve as ground for future installations.
• Assists senior Construction Technicians, Contractors, and/or splicers in the performance of their duties.
• Perform traffic control and/or flagging as necessary.
• Load and unload cable equipment and tools.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Contribute to the company vision.
• Provide excellent customer communication skills and be willing to work a variety of hours.
• Be able to follow detailed instructions and complete all tasks in an efficient manner.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Must have valid state driver’s license, a good driving record, auto insurance, and able to pass pre-employment drug screen test.
• Field service experience with cable, telecommunications, or electronic equipment preferred.
• Skill in using a Windows-based PC or lap-top a plus.
• Ability to dig in all types of soil.
• Ability to lift up to 75 lbs.
• Ability to manipulate connectors, fasteners, wires, and use hand tools.
• Ability to accurately measure distances, using tapes or other measuring devices.
• Ability to adhere to Local, Federal, NESC regulations and Company policies.
• Ability to carry, climb and operate extension ladder, (approx. 28 ft high and 75 pounds).
• Ability to operate machinery used for underground cable installation.
• Ability to climb poles using gaffs, hooks and climbing belt as needed.
• Ability to differentiate between different sizes and colors of wires.
• Ability to drive Company vehicle in a safe and responsible manner.
• Ability to make cable connections in tight spaces by bending, reaching, twisting.
• Ability to operate appropriate computer or test equipment associated with position.
• Ability to perform job from high places (i.e. poles and roofs).
• Ability to prioritize and organize effectively.
• Ability to work independently.
• Ability to read general system layouts from blueprints.
• Ability to work while standing 50 – 70% of the time.
• Ability to work with small components and wires to make cable connections.
• Ability to comply with all Company implemented safety procedures.
• Ability to work with appropriate testing equipment (e.g. signal level meters, ohm meters, etc.)
• Ability to read, write and speak the English language to communicate with employees, customers, suppliers, in person, on the phone, and by written communications in a clear, straight-forward, and professional manner.
• Ability to walk over all types of terrain in all kinds of weather while carrying tools and equipment, including gaffs, ladders, and fully loaded tool belts.
• Knowledge of basic mathematics and electronics.
• Knowledge of cable television products and services.
• Knowledge of National Electric Code and National Electrical Safety Code.
• Vision ability: close vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
• Live within the NewWave service area.
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Cable & Fiber Construction Work Experience
• Types and reads on a computer.
• Communicates in-person, by telephone and written correspondence.
• Exposure to dust, dirt, noise, insects, cleaning solutions.
• Exposure to fluctuating indoor temperatures.
• Exposure to periodic high noise levels.
• Stands, stoops, reaches, pushes and pulls.
• Ability to safely use weight-bearing equipment (such as gaffs, safety harness and ladders) within the maximum weight limitations of that equipment.
NewWave Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We support a drug free and safe working environment.