This is semi-skilled and skilled work in road and sewer maintenance and repair. Work involves responsibility for operation of various mechanical tools and automotive equipment to maintain City roadways. The employee works under direct supervision, and all work is inspected in progress and upon completion
Example of Duties:
1. Builds forms, pours and finishes concrete, asphalt repair work, constructs, maintains, and repairs curbs, gutters, and culverts.
2. Operates mechanical equipment such as concrete truck, bobcat, vibratory roller, tamper, air hammer, concrete saw, and air compressor.
3. Lays storm and sewer pipe; seals joints; mixes mortar; breaks up concrete; grades work areas; loads and unloads trucks.
4. Operates other pieces of light, medium or heavy equipment or trucks when on call-out or in the absence of regular equipment operators or truck drivers.
1. Performs related work as required.
1. High School diploma from an accredited school or its equivalent.
2. Six (6) months of experience in roadway and/or sewer construction, maintenance and repair.
3. Must be able to pass and maintain training in: Traffic Control, Trenching and Shoring and Confined Space. (C&M Division)
4. An equivalent combination of education and experience that is directly related to the foregoing specific requirements may be substituted.
1. Must possess a valid state of Florida Class "B" Commercial driver's license or higher within six month of the hiring date. The employing department will indicate which class of license is required and which endorsements, if any.
2. Must maintain a valid telephone number.
3. May be required to pass and maintain qualification for:
a. Respiratory Protection Physical
b. Pulmonary Function
c. Qualitative and Quantitative Fit Test(s)
4. May be required to work overtime, or alternate hours, as necessary for the efficient operation of the department. Position may be designated as Mission Critical by Department Director.
1 Knowledge of the equipment, material, and practices used in highway and bridge maintenance and repair.
2. Basic knowledge of concrete finishing techniques and asphalt repair work.
3. Basic knowledge of the applicable work safety rules and procedures.
4. Skill in the use of concrete finishing tools
5. Ability to understand and follow oral instructions.
6. Ability to safely operate mechanical hand tools and light automotive equipment.
7. Ability to lift and move heavy objects.
8. Ability to withstand working outside in extreme weather conditions for extended periods of time.
9. Ability to work below the ground in confined work areas.
10.Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, and the general public.