AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS) is an Atlanta-based energy services holding company with operations in natural gas distribution, retail operations, wholesale services, midstream operations and cargo shipping. As the nation’s largest natural gas-only distributor based on customer count, AGL Resources serves approximately 4.5 million utility customers through its regulated distribution subsidiaries in seven states. The company also serves more than one million retail customers through its SouthStar Energy Services joint venture and Nicor National, which market natural gas and related home services. Other non-utility businesses include asset management for natural gas wholesale customers through Sequent Energy Management, ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities, and ownership of Tropical Shipping, one of the largest containerized cargo carriers serving the Bahamas and Caribbean region. For more information, visit
This individual will leverage the functional expertise of the corporate communications team to develop and support the execution of integrated communication plans for a number of internal business units, including: southern operations, retail energy, environmental health and safety, NGVs, fuels, and energy services as well as other corporate teams.
The resulting plans will directly support business unit goals and closely align with corporate strategy. This individual will work closely with the corporate communications team to maximize the corporate shared services model in delivering proactive communications consult for the various business unit initiatives
- Exceptional understanding of business unit goals and ability to analyze and access communications needs across all audiences, both external and internal
- Identify, propose and execute against communications-related initiatives tied to business unit success
- Work closely with colleagues to ensure executions developed by interactive and creative services are on-strategy
- Ensure consistency in brand positioning and key messaging across business unit(s) and at the enterprise level
- Oversight of business unit website(s) to ensure accuracy, consistency and to promote the use of industry best practices
- Work closely with business unit leaders, colleagues and team members to develop and ensure successful execution of annual strategic communication plan for the business unit
- Serve as internal consultant providing sound communication counsel to business unit leaders
- Conduct ongoing market analysis to identify and assess strategic communications opportunities that advance business goals
- Collaborate with colleagues and executives across the enterprise
- Communicate recommendations and strategies to management and senior leaders
- Provide in-market support for execution of select corporate communications initiatives
- Conduct and maintain annual business unit communications audit that includes analysis and future recommendations
- Work with leaders to understand and document impact of integrated communications plan
- Implement or drive process improvements
- Hold self and others accountable for results
Related Work Experience:
- Required: Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing or related field; or equivalent work experience
- Preferred: Finance or business-related coursework
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
- Required: 5+ years of experience in corporate communications, marketing communications or public relations
- Preferred: Experience in a corporate environment;strategic planning; working across functional teams; developing integrated communications plans; Energy industry experience helpful
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Enterprise perspective supported by client-focused attitude
- Strong understanding of communications fundamentals (employee communications, public relations, media relations, customer communications; mass media; community relations, copywriting, brand management, etc.)
- Solid understanding of communications business metrics (e.g. ROI, SWOT, SOV)
- Experience developing, writing and implementing integrated communications plans
- Excellent project and program management skills (including budgets)
- Proven relationship-building skills at all levels within an organization
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-starter with excellent follow-through
- Ability to hold self and others accountable for results
- Event management experience a plus
- The position requires work primarily in an office environment
- Requires some travel (5-25%).
- Trips may require air travel and overnight stays away from home for one or more nights.
This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job. The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required in the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities.
AGL Resources brings its resources to customers in seven states through its fleet of utilities. Its Nicor Gas unit has 2.2 million customers...