Higher Education Research
The Advisory Board Company (NASDAQ: ABCO)
Forbes: Ranked one of the 200 Best Small Companies
Vault.com: Listed among Top 50 Consulting Firms
Modern Healthcare: “Best Places to Work”
Finalist, Washington Business Journal's Business Philanthropy Awards
Modern Healthcare: Listed among the Largest Healthcare Management Consultants
The Advisory Board Company
The Advisory Board Company (NASDAQ: ABCO) is a global research , consulting , and technology firm helping hospital and university executives to better serve patients and students. We provide strategic guidance, actionable insights, web-based software solutions, and comprehensive implementation and management services. We combine the analytical, managerial, and technological expertise of our 2,000+ employees around the world with insights from the on-the-ground experience of our network of 125,000 leaders at 3,200 health care and higher education member organizations to find solutions to our partners’ most pressing challenges. We deeply appreciate the trust that our members place in us, and we seek to serve them with generosity —and beyond expectation—in all that we do.
The Education Advisory Board is the firm’s higher education practice, with membership programs serving Chief Academic Officers, Chief Business Officers, Student Affairs Executives and Community College Presidents at institutions in the United States, Canada and the U.K. Our research focuses on the university’s most pressing quality and productivity issues, performing rigorous root cause analysis and conducting hundreds of interviews with thought leaders to identify effective best practices that are shared with the membership through a series of national roundtable meetings, on-site workshops, webinars and publications.
Our current opportunity is based in Washington D.C.
Consultant, Higher Education Research
Study cycles, from conception to completion, range from four to six months for smaller studies to approximately nine months for the largest, most complex studies. Consultants work to develop annual research agendas that address the major strategic, management and operational issues facing higher education today, and are responsible for executing against those agendas across the year. Consultants assume an integral role in moving the substance of major research studies forward and provide intellectual leadership within teams. Consultants provide analytical direction and guidance throughout all stages of the development process, working through extensive primary and secondary research, hypothesis generation and testing, rigorous analysis of findings and the final presentation of ideas.
Key skills developed in the Consultant role include the following:
- Strategic and root cause analysis
- Inductive and deductive reasoning
- Hypothesis generation
- Ability to formulate and defend original points of view
- Synthesis of complex ideas
- Persuasive writing
- Effective use of graphics and visuals to communicate ideas and information
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Excellent academic record
- 5+ years of experience
- Experience with at least two of the following:
- Conducting long-term research (at least 3 months in duration)
- Conducting primary and secondary research
- Demonstrated interest in higher education
- Writing in-depth reports in a professional setting
- Analyzing business issue
Benefits: Consistent with our belief that our employees are our most valuable resource, The Advisory Board Company offers a competitive benefits package, including a comprehensive health plan, a 401(k) plan, an Employee Stock Purchase Plan, a daytime leave policy for community service, a medical flexible spending account, and additional attractive benefits.
- Advanced degree in the liberal arts, sciences, or professions (MA, PhD, JD, MBA)
- Experience working in a team environment, as well as independently and autonomously
- Proven ability to communicate effectively with senior executives in both oral and written formats
- Experience conducting root-cause analysis
- Experience with solution focused problem solving and thinking through problems creatively
- Experience working with clients in a consultative role
An Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer
The Advisory Board Company is a research, technology, and consulting firm serving a global network of 165,000+ leaders in 4,100+...