The newly-created Global Business Consulting & Solutions organization supports both the Global Corporate Payments (GCP) and Global Business Travel (GBT) businesses within American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc. This segment team is responsible for leading and expanding our travel and expense (T&E) consulting and meetings & events planning businesses across GCP and GBT, as well developing a product line strategy for information management across the segment.
The Global Business Consulting team brings the talent, tools, and management consulting acumen needed to help manage companies’ T&E spend and maximize the return on their investments in employee travel and other areas of indirect cost. We provide T&E strategy, strategic sourcing, program optimization and change management, and business intelligence implementation consulting services to help our clients better manage and balance costs and employee productivity. Our specialized expertise includes: T&E policy, sourcing and supplier management, change management and compliance management, business intelligence, on-going travel category management, payment and expense reimbursement management, and related business process outsourcing (BPO) best practices.
The team consists of self-starting individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds – from the airline, hotel and ground transportation industries, general management consulting, information technology (IT) consulting, and general management roles. Our business has grown rapidly in recent years due to acceleration of market demand in our services and investments in the business.
The Consulting Manager is expected to exhibit skills in the following areas:
- Engagement Execution: Effectively executes multi-work stream projects, prioritizing constituent requests and work objectives by leveraging project management methodologies and tools such as project plans and issue logs. Creates deliverables within established engagement scope, quality standards, and time frames.
- Problem Solving & Analysis: Develops hypotheses and identifies data to evaluate based on needs. Reviews and validates analyses, develops options/alternatives and creates insightful recommendations in context of total project. Strong innovative mindset.
- Communication: Exceptional interpersonal skills, listening ability, and written presentation skills. Ability to deal with ambiguity and present/discuss work results in a compelling manner. Distills complex subject matter into key messages for team members and clients.
- Relationship Management: Understands client and American Express organizations and dynamics. Builds strong working relationships with all key stakeholders. Leverages American Express and available industry tools and solutions to develop best-in-class deliverables and operational best practices.
- Team Guidance and Support: Demonstrates strong work ethic with peers and juniors. Coaches team on subject matter and industry knowledge. Contributes to knowledge creation and dissemination. Supports delivery of internal/external projects that develop the business.
- Business Development: Displays a growth mindset and “challenger” sales skills. Proactively identifies and recommends business building opportunities that drive profitability for both American Express and the client. Executes sales efforts to further penetrate accounts, renew and expand existing client engagements as appropriate.
- Market Research: Ability to work with external partners and internal matrixed subject matter experts (SME) across the business to produce market-leading thought-leadership, timely industry insights, and best practice operational information and advice for client base. Experience in primary and secondary quantitative and qualitative field studies, and writing and editing, including online and web-based surveys and publications a plus.
We strongly prefer to hire a candidate in the New York area to work in AXP office but we will consider highly-qualified virtual candidates.
- Minimum 3-5 years professional experience
- Ability to accommodate travel up to 30%
- Bachelor's degree required, MBA strongly preferred, Project Management Institute (PMI) certification a plus
- Knowledge of strategy, financial/business operations, cost management preferred
- Strong analytical skills; ability to analyze complex data sets evaluate alternatives and develop insights and recommended client solutions
- Strong communication skills that should include internal and external presentation development and delivery
- Strong client service orientation
- Ability to interact effectively with people at all levels within a team or client organization
- Sales experience a plus
- Relevant travel industry or functional expertise preferred, such as procurement, strategic sourcing, revenue management, strategic planning, management consulting, business intelligence
Primary Location: US-New York-New York
American Express - 10 months ago
Each day, American Express makes it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they need and for...