The Consulting Partner (CP) is a subject matter expert on best practices in developing and deploying solutions using Teradata and who will provide strategic guidance to a key Teradata clients. Responsibilities will include coordinating all organizations within Teradata that interface to the customer to provide guidance to manage risks and to resolve issues when they are identified. Improving the Project Management Process is key and includes mentoring project teams in project management best practices, facilitates the PS project governance process, drives programs to improve Teradata's project management capability. Coordination of the Teradata core team members from CS, PS including Industry Consulting, a Managed Services Team and special PS projects teams, and Sales is critical. Coordination of key engineering resources for both strategic product positioning and for problem resolution is key.
The Consulting Partner supports selection and planning of projects for the client. Accuracy in scoping and skills in selecting appropriate team members will be important. Project oversight and risk management skills are needed.
The Consulting Partner is part of the PS management team and will report to the Professional Services Partner for the Automotive Industry. They facilitate project governance processes to ensure we properly plan, sell, execute and track status of projects for the customer. The Consulting Partner will understand how to position key Teradata Services and when and how to engage our Centers of Expertise consultants.
The Consulting Partner develops, deploys and implements programs to improve the overall Teradata project management capability for the Customer. The Consulting Partner is responsible for the customer interface for successfully delivering development projects. The Consulting Partner also provides a focal point for gathering and disseminating project management knowledge assets and best practices.
The Consulting Partner may personally manage strategic projects (or programs consisting of multiple projects). The Consulting Partner provides project leadership, client consultation, and sales support during these engagements, building true partnerships with senior customer executives, senior managers in Teradata, and with outside partners / suppliers. Throughout these engagements the Consulting Partner communicates Teradata strategy and offers, and provides feedback to influence Teradata development and deployment programs. Typically there will be a number of projects underway or in the planning stages that this Consulting Partner will oversee.
Major Responsibilities and Tasks
Overall Americas Professional Services Goal Attainment
Review Scopes engagements/projects
- Support the assigned Customer Team in reaching their annual Revenue and Margin goals. The Consulting Partner will partner with the PS Partner, Account Executive and Solution Architect to drive the business and plan for the customer. .
use of TSM estimator and other techniques.
- Project opportunity, project management need, Identifies project risks (Legal, Resources, Technical, Schedule, Financial) Review project plan
- Reviews goals and objectives
- Validates client requirements
- Validates resource requirements
- Reviews project budget
- Scope Projects and Level resources
- Verify task work estimates based on personal experience
- Examine estimating methodology was followed, including
schedule and resource allocation
- Review Project Financials
- Review Professional Services Costs based on project
sales strategy, Professional Services business arrangement
- Ensure proper resource costs included
- Ensure other costs for travel, products, materials, etc.
- Support the major bid review
- Explain Bid Review requirements and value to all teams
- Monitor compliance with the process across all teams
- Help teams prepare all PS inputs
- Pre-review bid review packages prior the Bid review call
- Engagement Activities (When we are engaged on time).
- Ensure all elements are covered - account positioning,
and our ability to deliver per proposal.
validate technical solution.
- Secure additional SME review as required to
responsibilities, success criteria, verify that every risk
- Statement of Work (SOW) Reviews
- Verify as an SME - Project scope, standard clauses, deliverables, payment conditions, Project Manager
that was going to be mitigated in the SOW has been
addressed, alert team to revenue recognition issues and recommend best way to structure the SOW, mentor teams in contracting best practices.
- Professional Services Automation tool (PSA) support and compliance management
- Partner with Business Operations to ensure every Project Manager and manager understand how to properly administer PSA
- Proactively review PSA compliance, and trigger corrective action
- Manages project risk assessment, quality assurance, startup, closeout, and recovery process
- Focuses primarily on Projects for a target customer
- May work across many projects as a Project Managers and oversee Project Managers as a Program Manager to ensure project quality and results
- Meet with customer SMEs, presale consultant, project manager, sales specialist, centers of expertise, etc. to identify risks and mitigation strategies.
- Be the SME for project management process, legal, resource, and business risks.
- Do triage to identify potential Technical risks.
- Facilitate engagement of other SME's to assess technical risks and mitigation strategy.
- Teach project managers and teams to do their own risk assessments.
- Add to, and use, lessons learned repository of risks and actions.
- Influence sales and Professional Services and sales team to take actions.
- Focuses on building in tasks to improve quality.
- Develop and Review Statement of work, Risk Assessment, project schedule, status reports, deliverables, and project financials as an owner and a SME.
- Initial, high-level review of technical solution quality and status
- Facilitation of more detailed technical reviews as necessary
- Review findings, actions and recommendations with the project manager
- Review findings with customer
- Project setup in the Professional Services Automation tool
- Project planning review to ensure a complete project plan
- Review baseline (cost, schedule, technical)
- Risk Analysis for the implementation phase
- Help teams to define the kick off meeting presentation
- Ensure project is ready to close out
- Review Statement of Work, Risk Assessment, project schedule, status reports, deliverables, and project financials.
- Ensure knowledge assets are captured
- Analyze lessons learned in all process areas, and submit to repository
- Ensure consultant performance feedback is developed and provided to PS manager
Manages complex team projects
- When warranted, functions in the Project Management Organization to personally manage significant project recoveries to minimize Teradata's exposure on projects or programs whose performance (cost, schedule, technical) has exceeded acceptable thresholds and/or is potentially compromising customer satisfaction
Manages physical implementation of project
- Communicates project status
- Obtains sign-off/authority
- Produces project documentation
- Develops contingency/mitigation strategy
- Conducts project planning workshop
- Assists with contract negotiation process
- Administers contract with client
- Establishes and maintains project information system
- Tracks and updates project financial elements
Manages client expectations
- Monitors/controls project
- Manages cost/schedule/resource variances
- Performs project status reviews
- Reviews/monitors vendor performance
Work Orientation Factors
- Maintains/expands client relationship
- Ensures client expectations are met/exceeded
- Establishes client follow-up/monitor process
- Conducts final project team review/critique
- Ensures test/acceptance process is complete
• Projects are normally within the context of a solution team, internal team, or other Teradata business units.
- Works within a project team environment where results will be based on cooperation with and/or influence of others.
• Optimizes use of available resources
- Focuses on results and success, conveying a sense of urgency and driving issues to closure
- Meets deadlines and produce high quality work
• Shows sincere interest in others and their concerns
- Relates to people in an open, friendly, accepting manner
• Initiates and develops relationships with others
Qualities / Attributes
- Client Service Oriented: Works to anticipate internal and external client needs. Has an overriding commitment to client satisfaction.
- Innovative and Resourceful: Draws from a large pool of diverse resources or information. Develops new approaches for situations in which standard approaches do not apply.
- Adaptable: Adjusts to multiple demands, shifting priorities, ambiguity, and rapid change. Accepts and adapts to new or alternative approaches.
(For Recruiting Purposes)
Years Experience: 15 plus in Information Technology (or equivalent)
Previous Work Experience: Experience in Teradata Engineering a plus. Experience in both strategic and tactical planning to help position customer roadmaps and the value of Teradata a plus. Experience coordinating across organizational boundaries is a needed skill. Experience on project management, leading teams, managing cross functional teams composed of vendor and client personnel, contract development and negotiation, recovering projects that have incurred problems, software and application development using various development methodologies, data warehouse implementations, logical data modeling, physical data modeling, performance tuning, data base administration, architecture, requirements, analysis, design, testing and implementation and rollout, and end user training.
Preferred Professional Certification
- Executive Education (Thunderbird, Harvard, International seminars, etc.),
- Industry-specific credentials
Americas Sales & Services
Teradata is a global leader in analytic data platforms, marketing and analytic applications, and consulting services. We help organizations...