People For the American Way is a nationwide advocacy organization that mobilizes its members and activists to fight for public policies that reflect the values of freedom, fairness, and equal opportunity; to champion constitutional protections and civil rights; to hold public officials accountable to those standards; and to promote strong democratic institutions, including a federal judiciary that upholds individual rights. The affiliated People For the American Way Foundation conducts research, legal, and education work on behalf of First Amendment freedoms and democratic values; monitors, exposes, and challenges the Religious Right movement and its political allies; identifies, trains, and supports the next generation of progressive leaders through its Young People For youth leadership programs and its Young Elected Officials Network.
This position is located in Washington, D.C., and reports to the Online Engagement & Marketing Director.
- Day-to-day content management of digital properties, including multiple web sites, social media outlets and other online projects, including content development and site maintenance
- Research and implement creative and goal-oriented strategies to increase online traffic, subscribers and action rates for advocacy and fundraising through integration of social networking, SEO, online advertising, strategic blogging, and other online campaigns
- Work with staff to consistently create and curate relevant and interesting content to ensure all websites and social media outlets are fresh and compelling
- Collaborate with staff to plan and implement social media outreach for advocacy and fundraising campaigns
- Upload and update content in CMS and CRM platforms, including blog posts, landing pages, and email alerts
- Oversee ongoing website maintenance and project management for new websites and redesigns
- Monitor, analyze and report on web and social media metrics in order to enhance traffic and member participation
- Troubleshoot technical issues and communicate with software vendors when necessary
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2 to 4 years experience working in online and social media capacity
- Experience with CRM platforms (Convio a bonus), HTML, search engine optimization and content management systems such as Drupal
- Current working knowledge of the social media environment, including emerging tools and best practices for use in advocacy and political campaigns
- Strong sense of how to make a story compelling and shareable using images, headlines, and other online publishing elements
- Strong understanding of metrics, analytics, reporting tools, and A/B and multivariate testing
- Knowledge of multi-channel marketing and cross-channel attribution
- Strong organizational skills – ability to manage priorities while multi-tasking, ability to adapt to rapid development and shifting deadlines
- Strong writing and proofreading skills
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong public interest commitment.