Founded in 1968, the Urban Institute offers independent, rigorous analysis and evidence-based solutions to inform policymakers and the public about the challenges and opportunities confronting vulnerable populations. The Institute recently launched a comprehensive organizational initiative to increase its visibility and impact. To support this work, the Urban Institute is seeking a Content and Social Media Strategist to join a communications program that advances organizational goals; leverages the knowledge, data, and relationships of the Urban Institute and its researchers; and strengthens relationships with current and new audiences. This is a unique opportunity to help build a new program for visibility and impact that is rooted in the Institute's strong reputation for providing nonpartisan, evidence-based policy solutions. The Content and Social Media Strategist will report to the Director of Digital Marketing and work across the Communications team as well as researchers within the Urban Institute’s ten policy centers.
The Content and Social Media Strategist will …
• Work with the Director of Digital Marketing to create and implement an editorial strategy for the organization’s digital properties.
• Write original content (blog posts and articles) for the Urban Institute website and other platforms based on our research.
• Partner with graphic designers and videographers to create multimedia content.
• Work with Urban Institute researchers and center directors to create content for the Urban Institute website and other platforms based on our research.
• Post content to the website and blogs through our content management system.
• Work with the Director of Digital Marketing to conceive and implement an organization-wide social media strategy.
• Work across the organization to run the day-to-day operation of the Urban Institute’s social media accounts through a social media CRM.
• Help implement individual social media strategies for Urban Institute experts and researchers.
• Devise strategies for expanding our social media presence across new platforms.
• Work with the public affairs team to create a blogger outreach program and pitch Urban Institute content to top-tier blogs and digital-only outlets.
• Bachelor's degree in political science, communications, marketing, journalism or related field and minimum 5-7 years related work experience or equivalent combination
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to execute successful content and social media strategies
• Demonstrated experience creating web features, blog posts and multimedia content
• Previous exposure to content management systems and customer relationship management systems
• Working knowledge of HTML and Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop
• Production and/or development experience with dynamic websites
• Comfort executing assigned projects independently when necessary
• Ability to multi-task under tight deadlines while maintaining attention to detail
• Willingess to adapt to change
• Ability to form relationships with a range of staff, including data-driven researchers
• Ability to understand and interpret data and translate it for mainstream audiences
• Proficiency with PC and/or Mac platforms and Microsoft office
The Urban Institute values and welcomes diversity in the workplace and strongly encourages all qualified persons to apply regardless of any protected status under federal or local law.
The Urban Institute - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard