Information Technology Services Division (ITSD) is recruiting for a Contracts Specialist. The position supports the contracting and procurement efforts of the Information Technology Services Division, an internal services organization that provides technology for the Unemployment Insurance and WorkSource systems. The position supports the IT division’s goals of maintaining the capacity, security and availability of information technology systems to meet changing needs and requirements and helps enhance management of information technology by using sound project management and quality improvement practices.
- Review contract terms and conditions and ensure compliance with federal and state laws and agency policies.
- Review contract drafts for legal sufficiency and enforceability.
- Resolve complex issues that arise during the contracting process. Guide agency staff and managers in interpreting contract terms and conditions.
- Work collaboratively with division managers, technical staff, and other employees, to complete the acquisition process. Determine appropriate procurement methodology. Draft acquisition documents in accordance with the requirements determined. Draft contract documents.
- Conduct advertising and market research to identify potential vendors. Conduct pre-bid conferences. Coordinate response to vendor questions. Analyze and evaluate proposals/bids. Lead evaluation teams, coordinate interviews, conduct vendor debriefing conferences, and complete the contract process. Negotiate terms and conditions with the apparently successful vendor.
- Interview contract manager to assess contracting needs and evaluate the level of assistance required. Counsel, educate and advise using templates and boilerplate language. File contract information in WEBS (Washington Electronic Business Solution) and other state required databases and/or websites. Negotiate and draft Statements of Work. Coordinate with subject matter experts to ascertain accurate Statements of Work.
- Monitor contracts from inception to completion. Analyze non-agency Contracts for legal sufficiency, weigh the benefits against the risks in accordance with the dollar value of the Contract.
- Advise agency management on specific contract issues, including early termination, incorrect payment, enforcement of contract terms and conditions, or replacement of a resource under the contract. Coordinate with budget staff regarding funding availability and coding.
- Working-level knowledge of contract policies, rules, regulations and laws.
- Working-level contract management consulting skill - provide long term strategic contract management consultation.
- Working-level analytical skill - use logic and reasoning to assess information, form logical conclusions, evaluate options, and make decisions or recommendations.
- Working-level negotiation skills - comprehends and applies appropriate negotiation skills.
- Working-level computer skill - use computer hardware and software to complete assignments.
Attach a resume and cover letter to your on-line application (either through the Text Resume / Edit Resume field or the Add Attachment(s) field).
A resume will not substitute for the "work experience" section of the application.
General suggestions for creating a good application packet:
- Read the job posting very carefully. Find out as much as you can about the position.
- Make sure you are very diligent in following all the application instructions. Include all requested documentation.
- Make sure your application and supplemental question responses address how you meet each of the required and desired qualifications.
- Carefully read each of the supplemental questions and respond completely to each one. Pay careful attention to each component of the question, providing examples, and thoroughly describing when and where you achieved the proficiency level, and detail the types of work you performed, the work products, etc., to demonstrate ‘how’.
- Specifically include all of your work experiences doing the same or similar work, especially if you reference work in these jobs in describing when/where you gained proficiency level skills.
- Make sure your application reflects your best writing.
As a condition of employment, the successful candidate accepting this position must comply with the Union Security clause contained in the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the State of Washington and the Washington Federation of State Employees.
For inquiries about this opportunity, please contact the Recruitment Team at 360-725-9400 or
Individuals with disabilities needing assistance in the application process or needing this job announcement in an alternate format should provide their contact information
Employment Security Department is an equal-opportunity employer and provider of employment and training services. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. Washington Relay Service–711
Employment Security Department - 11 months ago