The position will be filled at a junior, mid or senior-level position (low $60,000's to $100,000); depending on knowledge, skills and abilities.
A resume and cover letter are required for this position. To expedite the application process, combine your cover letter and resume into one document and upload when requested through the online application process, referencing job #10671.
This position may be filled at a junior, mid-level or senior level, depending on qualifications, skills and abilities of applicants. PLEASE REVIEW THE DESCRIPTION INFORMATION BELOW BEFORE PROCEEDING TO THE APPLICATION PROCESS.
1. To be considered for a junior level position, you must demonstrate your desire to work in a control systems environment, and include related education (Bachelor's Degree in electrical engineering or computer programming/computer science, or a minimum of an Associate's Degree in one of these fields and some level of related work experience in a manufacturing, utility, engineering or control systems environment (paid or internship).
2. The mid-level position requires a minimum of Bachelor's Degree in electrical engineering or computer programming/computer science and at least two years experience performing electrical engineering at a utility, performing computer programming or working in electric utility system operations. The equivalent combination of experience without a degree is eight years experience performing work as described above.
3. The senior-level position requires a Bachelor's Degree in electrical engineering (preferred) or computer programming/computer science and at least eight years experience performing electrical engineering at a utility, performing computer programming or working in electric utility system operations.
Engineer and maintain the District's control systems software and hardware for System Operations (SCADA/EMS/Advanced Applications), Rocky Reach Hydro, Rock Island Hydro, Chelan Hydro, water system, PI Historian, cyber security, CIP compliance, hatcheries and the control networks. The work includes integration of the systems with other District systems, maintenance of the historian system (PI) and communications with external utilities. The incumbent will be responsible for the engineering, implementation, maintenance, and monitoring the equipment that comprises the District's control systems and networks, and will also troubleshoot and correct problems whenever they occur, including after normal business hours. Senior level incumbents provide work direction to other CSE staff members and also train and mentor junior level staff.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function of the job satisfactorily. Essential functions are those activities that, if not performed, would significantly and fundamentally alter the position. Secondary functions are activities not fundamental to the job and may need to be relaxed to accommodate an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability.
1. EF Engineer, develop and maintain the District's control systems. Perform troubleshooting and initiate enhancements to hardware, programs and displays to ensure optimum performance of these systems.
2. EF Perform installation, engineering and maintenance of purchased hardware and software. This includes engineering solutions and configuring hardware and software.
3. EF Perform database administration duties. This includes adding, deleting and modifying tables in the databases, database backups, data access security and ongoing database administration.
4. EF Perform network administration duties, including engineering, implementation and maintenance of network topology and firewall security.
5. EF Perform computer hardware and operating system maintenance. This includes engineering, implementation, maintenance, security and monitoring of the computer systems on which the control system software runs, system administration, keeping the primary and back-up computers synchronized and creating back-ups.
6. EF Communicate with system users. Accept requests for changes of data, answer questions, train end users and discuss current system problems.
7. EF Maintain historian system and facilitate the collection of operating data. Maintain lists of data collected, archive data, and provide the tools and templates for users to access the data.
8. EF Develop, implement, and adhere to the policies, programs and procedures required to demonstrate compliance with NERC Reliability Standards, including BAL, CIP, COM, and TOP. Assist in the creation, storing, and stacking of documentation and other evidence required to demonstrate compliance with the standards.
9. EF Attend formal hardware, software and operating system training classes, keep up to date on the latest products from vendors and learn more about the current systems.
10. EF 5% Represent the District at various industry meetings/committees including NERC, FERC, WECC, NWPP and Mid-C.
11. EF 10% Implement and adhere to policies and procedures to maintain compliance with the regulatory mandates including CIP, WECC, NERC and FERC.
12. EF (Ongoing) Maintain regular and predictable attendance. Perform related duties and responsibilities as required. Complete all required training. Maintain a working knowledge and comply with District safety procedures and specific safety requirements of this position, and those in accordance with applicable provisions of the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) and Washington Administrative Code (WAC).
13. EF (On-going) Required to drive a motorized vehicle while conducting business on behalf of the District.
QUALIFICATIONS: The qualifications listed below are representative of those required, but reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Education: A minimum of an Associate's Degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Programming for junior position (Bachelor's Degree for mid or senior level; with preference for engineering in senior position) or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience: Related work experience in manufacturing, utility, engineering or control systems environment for junior level; two years experience performing electrical engineering at a utility, performing computer programming or working in electric utility system operations for mid-level; senior level requires at least eight years directly related experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: This position requires knowledge of power generation, transmission, and distribution systems and equipment as well as their operations. Requires familiarity with GE iFix, Intellution, ESCA, Monarch, Oracle, PI software and associated protocols, including OPC, MODBUS/MB+, DNP, Telegyr, TASE2, DH+, ODBC, UDP, TCP, and DECNET. Requires knowledge of VB, SQL, and C programming languages. Requires familiarity with advanced electric power system applications including power flow, state estimation, contingency analysis and topology processing. Effective communication and interpersonal skills are necessary along with the ability to make decisions quickly. Must be a self-starter, work well independently as well as part of a team. Demonstrated analytical and troubleshooting skills are required as the incumbent will be contacted after hours to assist in handling problems with the control systems. Requires desire and ability to constantly learn and effectively apply concepts and skills.
Depending on level of skill, the incumbent is required to learn and/or understand applicable NERC Reliability Standards, including BAL, CIP, COM, and TOP, and develop and implement programs and procedures that demonstrate compliance with these standards. The incumbent will also be responsible to implement and adhere to these standards and other regulations associated with WECC, NERC and FERC as required.
Language Skills: Candidate must be proficient in reading, writing and speaking English.
Computers & Equipment: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Oracle and SQL Database software; GE iFix, Intellution, MONARCH, Pl, Oracle Design software; Microsoft Visual Studio Development software; Microsoft Internet Explorer Internet software; PeopleSoft Timekeeping Payroll systems; Microsoft Project Management software; Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet software and Microsoft Word Processing software. An individual should also have knowledge of PC Hardware, Servers and Telecommunication devices in various platforms and protocols, and knowledge of control system hardware & software including NT/2000/XP/2003/2008/Vista based computer systems, Cisco networking equipment, PLCs, modems, printers, and IEDs (including RTUs, SEL relays, meters, DFRs and protocol converters). The individual should also be able to correctly operate general office equipment such as computers, fax machines and phones.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; engage in repetitive motion using the hands or arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl or twist torso and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
A valid driver's license is required for this position (verified upon hire). A valid Washington State driver's license is required within 30 days of employment.
Pursuant to the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) standards, Chelan County Public Utility District #1 conducts background screening of personnel who have access to the District's critical physical and/or cyber assets.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions for this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required, and the scope of responsibility. This should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload.
Chelan PUD is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity at all levels of its workforce. M/F/H/V