The Controller is responsible for supervising accounting staff and performing in conjunction with them: day-to-day maintenance of accounts payable and expense reporting; invoicing, A/R & collections. The Controller will set and implement accounting policies and procedures. Excellent skills with Excel, and other financial systems is an absolute requirement, as is the ability to take initiative and work independently.
A CPA is not required, but is a significant plus. The Controller will lead in developing and maintaining new management reports, and will prepare accruals and journal entries, set accounting policies and complete financial closes and reporting. This is a high-profile position, reporting to the CFO and regularly presenting key performance indicators and making recommendations to the ownership group.
Accounts Payable and Vendor Relations:
- Maintain efficient system of A/P control, payment approvals, invoice processing.
- Ensure P-card system is effectively utilized, approved and recorded.
- Maintain system of equipment purchasing control and accounting.
Accounts Receivable and Client Relations:
- Learn and apply contractual billing provisions, document compliance with same, generate timely monthly and ad hoc invoices to clients.
- Monitor A/R and collection status.
Budgeting, Analysis and Operational Reporting:
- Establish and support the annual budget cycle, and regularly report against it.
- Create ad hoc analytic reports of cash, expenses and project performance.
- Regularly report financial results by project, department and total company to managers and owners.
- Prepare and maintain accruals and all other journal entries for GAAP financial close.
- Maintain fixed asset and depreciation records, accounting and tax basis.
- Generate GAAP-compliant legal entity financial statements (balance sheet, income statement, equity statement and cash flow statement), at least quarterly.
- Consolidate books annually and as requested, support annual CPA review process, monitor compliance with credit line covenants and other financial requirements under contracts.
- Prepare weekly Key Indicators reports to principals, and ad-hoc reporting and analyses as requested.
- BS degree in accounting, management, or related field.
- At least 6-10 years relevant experience in public and industry accounting. Proven skills in financial management accounting.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with electronic accounting and reporting tools.
- Creative self-starter and problem solver with tolerance for ambiguity.
- Willing to be “hands-on” and work in a lean organization.
- Satisfaction of Principal group and senior leadership.
- Consistent and timely completion of projects and reports.
- Continuous improvement in organizational systems.
- Comfortable and well-equipped work environment for team members.
- Dependable and user-friendly technology systems.
- High performance of direct reports.
- Strong management skills with the ability to manage up and laterally.
- High level of interpersonal maturity, poise, and judgment.
- Calmly adapts to changes in the work environment, managing competing demands and able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- High proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Google Applications and ability to learn new software.
- Demonstrated personal and professional commitment to the vision, mission and values of sustainable transportation.
- Positive attitude and sense of humor a must.
- Job may require hours that exceed 8 hours per day and/or 40 hours per week.
- Job may require limited travel.
- Knowledge of Deltek a plus.
Note: The above description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities due to the nature of work performed to accomplish Alta’s Mission.
Alta Planning + Design is proud to be an equal opportunity/ affirmative action employer.
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
For more information, please visit our websites at: www.altaplanning.com
Please, no phone calls
Indeed - 11 months ago