A private-equity backed independent P&C insurance broker is seeking a Controller.
The candidate should have a Bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience and 8+ years of experience, preferably with an insurance broker or agent. Preference will be given to candidates with a Certified Public Accountant designation as well as experience in integrating acquisitions. The candidate should have granular experience with one of the two major insurance agency management systems, preferably Applied Systems.
Base salary and bonus commensurate with experience. Future potential for equity incentives.
The Controller initially will be the sole finance and accounting professional at the firm; however, additional accounting support staff will be added in the near future as the business grows. Participating in decision making as a key member of the executive management team, the Controller will have the following initial key responsibilities:
1. Issue timely and complete monthly financial statements
2. Prepare internal management reports, including financial and operating metrics and an analysis of operating results.
3. Develop and maintain the annual budget
4. Calculate variances from the budget and prior-year period and report significant issues to management
5. Develop and maintain a strong internal control environment.
6. Perform all core accounting functions including:
1. Maintain the companys general ledger
2. Ensure that accounts payable are paid in a timely manner
3. Ensure that accounts receivable are collected promptly (agency bill is only 10% of revenue)
4. Process payroll in a timely manner
5. Record cash receipts
6. Conduct monthly reconciliation of bank accounts
7. Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
1. Maintain the chart of accounts
2. Coordinate with external auditors on the annual audit
3. Provide necessary financial information for tax preparer
4. Other duties as required