The Controller is responsible to help create an environment and culture that enables the hospital to fulfill its mission by meeting or exceeding its goals, conveying the hospital mission to direct report staff, holding direct reports accountable for performance, motivating staff to improve performance and being responsible for the operation of the department, measurement, assessment and continuous improvement of the department's performance.
The Controller directs and supervises the complete accounting system and financial function of the hospital. This includes charges, billing, A/R, cash receipts, collections, A/P, payroll, general ledger, forecasting, budgeting, internal controls, and audits. Facets include in/outpatient and ancillary services offered by the hospital.
This position will support cultural diversity by ensuring that the delivery of quality, equitable and culturally competent patient-centered care is provided; promoting and maintaining an inclusive work environment and culture that is respectful and accepting of diversity; and ensuring that cultural diversity and sensitivity training is part of new employee orientation on an on-going basis to meet the needs of the patient population served in the hospital.
License or Certification:
Total Education, Vocational Training and Experience:
Machines, Equipment Used:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration/Management with a major in Accounting. MBA preferred.
- Minimum of five years hospital accounting experience preferred.
- Knowledge of financial management and analysis principles and techniques and managerial skills typically acquired through two to three years of experience in public accounting, specifically in health care auditing and reimbursement knowledge (when applied to small hospitals) or one to three years experience as a hospital chief financial officer.
- General office equipment such as telephone, copy machine, fax machine, calculator, computer.
Skills and Abilities:
- Good visual acuity and ability to communicate.
- Ability to lift and push/pull a minimum of 25 pounds. Reasonable assistance may be requested when lifting, pushing, and/or pulling are undertaken which exceeds these minimum requirements.
- Ability to withstand prolonged standing and walking.
- Ability to reach, stoop, bend, kneel, and crouch are required for patient care functions and in setting up and monitoring equipment
- Ability to speak, read, write, and communicate effectively.
- Ability to coordinate, analyze, observe, make decisions, and meet deadlines in a detail-oriented manner.
- Ability to work independently without supervision.
Proficiency or Productivity Standards:
- Indoor, temperature controlled, smoke-free environment. Occasional outdoor exposure.
- Exposure or potential exposure to blood and body fluids may be required.
- Handicapped accessible.
- May work under stressful circumstances at times.
- Meets established attendance standards.
- Adheres to hospital/department dress code including wearing ID badge.
- May be required to work weekdays and/or weekends, evenings and or night shifts if needed to meet deadlines.
- May be required to work on religious and/or legal holidays on scheduled days/shifts.
- Will be required to work as necessary during disaster situations, i.e., before, during or after a disaster.
- May be required to stay after workday to assist after a disaster situation until relief arrives.
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
HealthSouth Corporation - 23 months ago
HealthSouth is actually all over the map as one of the largest rehabilitation services providers in the nation. Its facilities include...