New York Media is seeking an accounting professional responsible for the monthly accounting and financial reporting functions for the organization. This position requires an individual who is responsible, reliable and attentive to providing accurate and timely information to various parts of the organization. A suitable candidate must possess excellent organizational skills and the ability not only to focus on, understand, and document transaction level details, but also manage the close and reporting schedule and understand the various interrelationships among the balance sheet, income statement, and statement of cash flows. In addition, a suitable candidate should possess the ability to perform financial analyses and forecasting and serve as a business partner for the operations of the organization.
Reports to: CFO
Location: New York, NY
- Responsible for providing effective financial controls for the organization
- Responsible for organizing, directing and controlling the work of the accounting personnel in collecting, summarizing and interpreting financial data
- Maintains the company's system of accounts and keeps books and records on all company transactions and assets
- Preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements to meet internal and external reporting requirements
- Responsible for transitioning a wholly-owned subsidiary to a new general ledger system, as well as assisting in a general ledger upgrade
- Assist in the preparation of the budget and forecasts, institutes and maintains other planning and control procedures, and analyzes and reports variances.
- Oversee the semi-monthly payroll function
- Responsible for compliance with all federal, state, and local corporate, payroll, and other applicable taxes.
- Furnish internal reports, revise and update reports to be more useful and efficient, and furnish external reports as necessary.
- Coordinate and assist with external audits.
- Communicate and work closely with the CFO to forecast, plan, and budget.
- Assist in tracking departmental operating budgets.
- Responsible for evaluating the performance of personnel in the accounting department. Recommend training requirements, and keep the staff at the level of skill necessary to meet company needs and objectives.
Send cover letters and resumes to email@example.com with "Controller - NYM" in the subject line. Please include salary requirements in your cover letter.
- CPA or candidate for CPA preferred
- Excellent knowledge of Excel; proficiency in MS Office
- Well-organized and detail oriented with demonstrated effective time-management and follow-up skills.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple tasks concurrently
- Willingness to work in a high volume, fast paced team environment
- At least four years experience as a financial professional; combination of public and private experience is a plus.
- Digital Media and/or Publishing experience is highly preferred
- Some knowledge of corporate taxes and regulatory reporting requirements
- Ability to examine and question assumptions with professional judgment
Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. Please regard your resume as having been received unless your email is bounced back. No phone calls, please. EOE.