The Controller is responsible for managing a team of four and overseeing all facets of accounting operations, including GAAP compliance, the monthly close cycle, financial reporting, internal controls, and overseeing the annual physical inventory annual audit processes. The Controller is a hands on, detailed manager who oversee the daily operations of the Accounting Department including accounts payable, accounts receivable, cost accounting, tax compliance, and cash management.
- Maintain the general ledger and all monthly closing requirements in accordance with GAAP
- Prepare, review, and analyze accounting transactions to ensure financial integrity in conjunction with accounting personnel and accounting systems
- Prepare and analyze the balance sheets, income statements, reconciliations and other financial reports and ensure that they are accurate, complete and timely including the preparation of the monthly financial reporting package
- Assist in the preparation, issuance and monitoring of accounting policies and procedures.
- Manage and coordinate the external audit at year-end
- Monitor inventory transactions and coordinate the physical inventory count at year-end
- Troubleshoot and maintain financial systems ensuring accurate flow of data and validity of transactions
- Coordinate treasury functions including maintenance of bank signatories, initiating wire and ACH transfers, manage bank audits and monitor covenant compliance
- Manage the day-to-day cash reporting function.
- Oversee fixed asset reporting and safeguarding of company assets
- Reviews contractor and vendor agreements ensuring proper documentation is maintained
- Coordinate with the third-party accounting firm on tax compliance issues and the preparation and review of the annual documentation used in the preparation of annual income tax returns
- Oversee and ensure proper compliance with state sales, use and property tax
- Complete ad-hoc analysis and projects as required
- Understand and abide by company corporate values at all times
- Work in compliance with all accounting rules and regulations
- Protect the confidentiality of sensitive and/or proprietary company information
- Manage, coach, develop, mentor and regularly assess and review performance metrics for a team of direct reports.
- Support and promote the Talyst values through positive interactions with both internal and external stakeholders on a regular basis.
- Attend to other initiatives and goals as assigned.
- 15+ years of experience in finance/accounting, including 3+ years of experience at the Controller level for an organization with $10M - $100M in annual revenue
- Strong knowledge of integrated systems and reporting software. Experience with MAS500 and salesforce.com helpful but not required
- Strong leadership capabilities; management of a staff with ability to delegate and develop subordinates
- Personal integrity and business ethics and execute decisions in a timely manner are key
- CPA required
- Ability to work and interact with all levels of employees within a variety of departments throughout the organization
- Proven ability to get into the weeds and do deep analytical dives, plus high level reporting.
- Detailed and process oriented.
- Thorough knowledge of accounting theory, concepts and practices applicable to accounting requirements and thorough knowledge of GAAP
- Proficient with MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and other common office tools
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional analytical and problem solving abilities
- Success in mentoring and coaching others in a professional environment and effectively motivating and managing a remote team.
- Experience working in a goal oriented, delivery focused, and dynamic environment.
The job conditions for this position are in a standard office setting. Employees in this position use PC and phone on an on-going basis throughout the day. Limited corporate travel may be required to remote offices or other business meetings and events.