CONTROLLER JOB DESCRIPTION
Key job tasks of Controller
- Assess organizational performance against both the annual budget and company’s long-term strategy.
- Develop tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the Board of Directors and make actionable recommendations on both strategy and operations.
- Oversee long-term budgetary planning and costs management in alignment with company strategic plan, especially as the organization considers sponsorships, potential acquisitions, and collaborations with external organizations.
2. Executive Management
- Participate in key decisions pertaining to strategic initiatives, operating model and operational execution
3. Financial Planning and Analysis
- Prepare and maintain regular financial planning reports; Monthly profit and loss forecast by division (vs. budget); Weekly 13 week cash flow forecast.
- Complete analysis of financial results; Develop recommendations (strategic and tactical).
- Develop and execute analysis of various business initiatives (e.g., opening new operations, asset acquisition, new service launches).
- Develop and maintain capital budget.
- Assist in development of financial planning and analysis exercises/reports.
- Participate in calls with Lenders.
- Oversee cash flow planning and ensure availability of funds as needed.
- Oversee cash, investment, and asset management.
- Oversee financing strategies and activities, as well as banking relationships.
- Develop and utilize forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses to provide insight into the organization’s operations and business plans.
5. Planning, Policy, and Investor Relations
- Coordinate the development and monitoring of budgets.
- Develop financial business plans and forecasts.
- Participate in corporate policy development as a member of the senior management team.
- Engage the finance committee of the board of directors to develop short-, medium-, and long-term financial plans and projections.
- Represent the company to financial partners, including financial institutions, investors, auditors, public officials, etc.
6. Accounting and Administration
- Oversee the accounting department to ensure proper maintenance of all accounting systems and function; supervise company finance staff.
- Ensure maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures.
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of financial and management reporting and oversee the preparation and communication of monthly and annual financial statements.
- Coordinate audits and proper filing of tax returns.
7. Accounting Activities
- Oversee preparation of month-end, quarter-end and year-end financial statements
- Review all month-end closing activities including general ledger maintenance, balance sheet reconciliations and corporate/overhead cost allocation
- Enhance and implement financial and accounting systems, processes, tools and control systems
- Serve as final point of escalation for Accounts Receivable/Accounts Payable issues
- Develop and manage accounting staff
- Serve as a key point of contact for external auditors; Manage preparation and support of all external audits
8. Cash Management
- Oversee weekly cash management; Approve weekly payables; Execute check signing
- Oversee AR management and provide support to collections activities
Job specification of Controller
1. A minimum of a BS; a CPA and/or MBA would be a plus.
2. At least five years experience as Controller or equivalent, preferably in an organization with a budget of at least $10 million, and preferably in a healthcare setting with experience working with commercial payers for insurance reimbursement
3. Experience working with information technology staff to manage finance and accounting software packages.
4. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
5. Demonstrated leadership ability, team management, and interpersonal skills.
6. Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills, plus excellent organization skills.
7. Experience in a senior financial-management role, partnering with executive staff, resulting in the development and implementation of creative financial management strategies.
Indeed - 14 months ago
copy to clipboard