Organizes and directs all general finance and accounting activities in accordance with GAAP and all relevant standards and laws. Ensures financial compliance for US government, foundation, and corporate grants. Maintains accounting systems that ensure the proper accounting and recording of organization resources; provides financial statements, analysis and other key management and tax reports; and assists with budget preparation. Provides technical assistance and assists in development of global financial policies and procedures. Manages annual audit and tax reporting and ensures compliance with organizational policies and procedures, state and federal regulations.
General Accounting and Finance
- Monitors accounting systems and procedures and revises as required, providing periodic reports to the SVP, Operations
- Prepares cash flow reports and analysis as required
- Supervises accounts payable function and ensures with the SVP, Operations that the disbursement of company funds is in compliance
- Supervises the activities of the accounts receivable, cash management and finance functions
- Supervises the preparation of support schedules to the general ledger accounts
- Identifies additions or deletions to accounts in general ledger to improve control
- Coordinates year end audit review and tax return prep Assists with periodic internal audits of accounting and financial controls and process of the entire organization
- Assists with financial functions as they relate to the international country offices.
- Oversees periodic payroll-related analysis, statements, and projections
- Keeps abreast of current trends, practices, and developments in the profession
Finance Implementation and Management
- Oversee cash flow planning and ensure availability of funds as needed
- Oversee financing strategies and asset management, as well as banking relationships
Accounting and Administration
- Oversee accounting department to ensure proper maintenance of all accounting systems and function; supervise finance staff
- Ensure maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy and usefulness of financial and management reporting for federal and state funders, foundations and Women for Women International board of directors; oversee the preparation and communication of monthly and annual financial statements
- Coordinate audits and proper filing of tax returns
- Prepare and submit Negotiated Indirect Cost Rate proposals for use in Federal financial awards
- Coordinates the preparation of required reports for private, quasi-government and government funders
- Administers preparation of monthly financial reporting and performs analysis
- Administers the compilation of and verifies data for periodic financial and administrative reports
- Classifies fund and account invoices and maintains a complete set of budgetary control and general accounts
- Prepares monthly and annual reports
Staff and Management
- Hiring appropriate staff
- Training and development of staff
- Managing staff
- Leading Staff
- Performance management
Communication & Teamwork
- Communication with SVP, Operations and Global Leadership Team
- Communication w/Country Offices
- Communication w/ colleagues
- Accepts constructive feedback
- Positive attitude
- Work ethic
- Initiative/Proactive problem solving
- Commitment and respect for Women for Women International’s mission and values
- Discretion with sensitive materials
- B.S. degree required; Master degree in finance or accounting field or relevant certification (CPA, CMA) preferred
- Minimum of seven (7) years' general accounting experience and three (3) years as a Controller of an accounting department.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience managing grants with federal grant management preferred
- Minimum of two (2) years audit experience in a CPA firm preferred.
- Ability to interact with diverse cultures.
- Working knowledge of automated accounting systems and reporting tools, preferably in a non-profit environment.
- Well developed participatory management and administrative skills, with proven ability to train, and motivate personnel.
- Well organized with strong analytical and reasoning abilities.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills. Ability to get along well with diverse personalities—tactful—mature—flexible.
- Ability to establish credibility and be decisive—but able to recognize and support the organization's preferences and priorities.
- Good communication skills, written and verbal.
- Ability to work effectively independently and in a team, including dotted line/matrix reporting relationships.
- French speaker useful, but not required
Women for Women International - 13 months ago