“Cummins power is defined not only by its products, but the ideas, energy and passion of its people. “ -
Tim Solso, Former Chairman and CEO
It started with a commitment to building powerful, dependable products. Throughout our 90+ years, we’ve added hundreds of new products, hired and promoted thousands of people, and expanded into 190 countries – but we still believe in the same things. We’re committed to building partnerships with our employees, our customers, our environment, and our communities. This is how we do business. And we call it
Cummins Inc., a global power leader, is a corporation of complementary business units that design, manufacture, distribute and service engines and related technologies, including fuel systems, controls, air handling, filtration, emission solutions and electrical power generation systems. Please visit
to explore more about our products, markets, global distribution network, financials and sustainability focus.
Our integrated businesses demand the talents and creativity of individuals with a wide range of skills and experience. This is an exciting opportunity for a
position located in
- Applies basic knowledge of engineering principles and practices to assigned tasks to develop and support activities in the area of electronics. This may include one or more of the following: Developing the electronics specifications, Developing the electronics specifications, Designing electronic systems and components, Analyzing and simulating electronic capabilities, Implementing and generating software, Verifying and validating controls, hardware, or software, Tuning controls, Releasing controls, hardware, or software, Troubleshooting controls, hardware, or software issues, Servicing and maintaining controls, hardware, or software
- Managing life-cycle obsolescence Electronics includes all electronic elements within the system: Open and closed loop controls Diagnostics and OBD Algorithms Electronic control modules and related microcontroller architectures Electronic devices Embedded software Sensors and switches Actuators, mechatronics, electric motors, and relays Ignition systems Battery systems Electronic tools and information products Electronic tool interfaces Interconnects and harnesses Datalinks and communication networks Machine electronics interfaces. Typical roles include: Electronics systems Hardware Software Controls and diagnostics design Electronic controls application
- Uses prescribed and innovative methods, and works with limited guidance
- Participates as a team member and actively contributes towards team goals - Carries out partially defined and moderately complex tasks.
- Demonstrates good understanding and applies knowledge of an engineering discipline
- Applies engineering and/or scientific skills and continues to develop experience in creating engineering solutions
Education, Licenses, Certifications
College, University, or equivalent degree in Engineering required.
Some level of relevant work experience a benefit. That could be COOP or summer Intern experience.
Analog Circuit Design - Analog circuit design at Cummins focuses on electronic hardware for control and/or power conversion systems. A person with this skill designs/ analyzes: actuator driver, power supply, signal conditioning (digital), analog and frequency type sensors, and system power bus/ grounding. Has performed analog circuit design on several boards of moderate to high complexity and part count. Has knowledge and experience with analog tools and process. Routinely resolves circuit functional and performance issues with analysis, simulation, and testing.
Digital Circuit Design - Digital circuit design is the skill set necessary to understand, specify, analyze, and design digital electronic circuits or devices. Skills include: knowledge of bi-state digital components, ability to memory map devices to a microprocessor, ability to perform timing analysis, ability to design digital circuit boards of moderate complexity which involve analysis and schematic capture. A Hardware Engineer will have detailed knowledge and experience with the tools and processes of this field and could resolve circuit functional and performance issues with analysis, simulation, and testing.
Harness & Interconnect Design - Harness and interconnect design involves specification and selection of : connectors, wire gauge, length, routing, tie-down, and protection mechanisms. A harness designer will know principles, techniques, procedures, fail modes/symptoms and can repair, service, or select connectors with appropriate sub-components. Can perform harness / interconnect design effectively with minimum supervision, knows different connector systems used on Cummins' engines and can recommend the proper connector systems or cable type for specific applications. Familiar with the documents governing harness design or connector service.
Electronic Component Specifications - The purpose of this skill is to provide high quality specifications for electronic components (e.g., electronic control modules, actuators, and sensors) that ensure our suppliers design and manufacture electronic components that delight our customers for reliability and cost. Also, ensure our customers' issues and concerns are addressed before the component is designed. Related skills include electromagnetic compatibility (EMC), mechanical environmental requirements, analog circuit design, and digital circuit design. Routinely defines and generates specifications for electronic components.
Mechanical Design & Performance Requirements - This skill set describes the ability to understand, specify, and validate requirements for the design of electronic components. Knowledge expected: An understanding of how electronic designs respond to mechanical environment conditions and methods required to validate designs for a specific environment. Understands the underlying principles, techniques, and procedures for mechanical design of electronic hardware. Able to converse fluently with suppliers on subject matter.
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation: Base salary commensurate with experience plus bonus.
Benefits: Additional benefits vary between locations and include options such as our 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan, Cash Balance Pension Plan, Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, Domestic Partners Coverage and a full complement of personal and professional benefits.
Cummins and E-verify:
At Cummins, we are dedicated to diversity in the workplace and our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, age, color, sex, religion, national origin, marital or veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify. Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. For additional information, please click
United States-Indiana-Columbus-US, IN, Columbus, Fuel Systems Business
Experienced - Professional / Office
Nov 7, 2013, 10:56:19 AM
Cummins - 9 months ago