Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and industrial leader serving customers in more than 150 countries. Our 162,000 employees create quality products, services and solutions to optimize energy and operational efficiencies of buildings; lead-acid automotive batteries and advanced batteries for hybrid and electric vehicles; and interior systems for automobiles. Our commitment to sustainability dates back to our roots in 1885, with the invention of the first electric room thermostat. Through our growth strategies and by increasing market share we are committed to delivering value to shareholders and making our customers successful. In 2011, Corporate Responsibility Magazine recognized Johnson Controls as the #1 company in its annual "100 Best Corporate Citizens" list. For additional information, please visit http://www.johnsoncontrols.com. JCI is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and as such does not discriminate in its recruiting and selection process based on disability or handicap status. If you are a person with a disability and you need an accommodation during the application process, please call our Talent Acquisition Hotline at (414)-524-8999 and press option #0.
Control Systems Engineer
BASIC JOB FUNCTION
This position will work as an integral part of the Smart Equipment Applications and Advanced Development team in Milwaukee, WI. This position will be expected to make an impact as both an individual contributor as well as a technical project lead. As an individual contributor, the engineer must possess multiple skills that include a working knowledge of control systems & control methodologies, HVAC/BAS systems and other applicable technologies so they can independently manage the design, implementation and testing for an individual feature. As a project technical lead, the engineer must be self motivated and able to interface directly with other technical leads as well as management to develop system wide solutions, drive a small group of technical resources, communicate status and/or concerns and deliver on team commitments.
Individual Contributor Duties and Responsibilities
Technical Lead Duties and Responsibilities
- Understand product/system requirements and be able to develop application requirement specifications that fulfill product/system needs.
- Expected to independently work on projects dealing with HVAC systems, from application strategy definition and specification, through system computer simulation, to system testing (lab and field).
- Develop specifications for new control objects/methods
- Develop and implement applications using high-level software tools (like Matlab/Simulink, Visual Studio C++, etc)
- Test applications and control methods using simulation, emulation, field testing. Evaluate test data and generate test summaries.
- Develop new control strategies which provide state-of-the-art capabilities, assure intellectual property coverage.
- Will report directly to engineering manager with dotted line responsibilities to project managers and technical leads.
- Proficient in written and oral presentation, in writing and presenting technical papers, in explaining technical concepts with depth tailored to the expected audience, in assisting in the generation of product/application documentation literature.
- Demonstrate Integrity - Adhere to the company's code of conduct and business ethics standards.
- Be a good communicator, focus on customers, drive for results and think analytically.
o Direct, coach and delegate to team members as appropriate
- Work closely with marketing, project management and system engineers on system/application aspects of the product requirements, development and deployment.
- Determine and negotiate requirements for a project, then plan and execute the work with the development team.
- Responsible for surfacing and resolving technical issues during all phases of the project.
- Promote adherence to good engineering practices and company product development processes.
- Excellent at communicating up, down and across the organization. Able to represent the project team within engineering and can speak for the team technically.
- Ensure all subsystem/feature designs "fit" together.
- Lead technical people:
o Exhibit behaviors to engage, motivate and develop team members
o Drive accountability, encourage excellence, enable teamwork
o Provide technical support to team members
- Will report directly to engineering manager with dotted line responsibilities to project managers and system engineering lead.
Occasional travel for training and to support other JCI facilities is required.
- BS in Electrical, Mechanical or Controls Engineering (MS is a plus)
- A minimum of five (5) years direct work experience in control systems and technical leadership (HVAC/BAS experience preferred)
- Experience in product development and product development processes preferred.
- A strong background in controls engineering and development testing, with use of a variety of test instrumentation to perform test data acquisition and data analysis, troubleshooting and diagnostics, technical reporting, and related communication at various levels is required.
Building Efficiency North America
Johnson Controls - 19 months ago
Johnson Controls, Inc. (Johnson Controls) provides automotive interiors, products and services that optimize energy usage in buildings and...