The University of Washington, Tacoma is a growing metropolitan university that is deeply invested in its local communities. As one of three campuses of a world-class university, UW Tacoma is dedicated to interdisciplinary and innovative teaching and scholarship and to engaging the community in mutually beneficial partnerships. UW Tacoma's commitment to diversity is central to an environment where students, staff, faculty and South Sound residents find abundant opportunities for intellectual, personal and professional growth.
UW Tacoma, Finance & Administration, has an outstanding opportunity for a PART-TIME, 5%, COVENIENCE STORE RETAIL LEAD . This individual will be responsible for assisting in the operation in the two locations of the UWT Convenience Store. Under the direction of the Convenience Store Manager, the Retail Lead will enhance and implement unit procedures to meet performance/unit objectives and budgets, and ensure compliance with applicable policies and procedures. In the absence of the Convenience Store Manager, this position will assume Manager responsibilities including supervising hourly employees and student staff, opening and closing Convenience store daily operations, reconciling daily sales, making daily cash deposits, and monitoring inventory. Additionally, the person in this role will:
As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please visit our website, click here.
- Assist the Convenience Store Manager to maintain an organizational culture that reflects excellent customer service and departmentally-prescribed marketing standards.
- Uphold department standards for honesty and integrity and insure that quality control measures are followed.
- Lead other Convenience Store personnel in the implementation of appropriate controls and procedures for ordering, receiving, sales, inventory, cash control, and customer service.
- Participate in efforts to continuously improve unit operations, products, and services.
- Assist in ordering, receiving, inspecting, and storing retail products.
- Utilize point of sale systems in alignment with department policies and procedures.
- Assist in training a diverse work group to handle a variety of customer service issues and store maintenance duties.
- Maintain positive working relationships with customers, employees, and vendors. Solicit customer suggestions and respond to complaints, questions, and special requests.
- Attend meetings and required training classes.
- Perform related duties as required.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
- High school diploma or GED certificate
- One year of experience in retail selling, cash register operation, general clerical work and/or financial record keeping
- Experience working in a retail or cash-handling setting with minimal direct supervision
- Six months of additional qualifying experience may be substituted for education
- General computer knowledge
Condition of Employment:
- Demonstrated customers services skills and ability to engage customers and staff
- Successful record to of interacting with students as a co-worker and service provider
- Demonstrated ability to engage staff and patrons in constructive problem solving and resolution
- Ability to adapt effectively to changing business operations and customer service needs
Possession of a Washington State Drivers License and Food Handler’s Permit.
Maintain attendance within the assigned work schedule that varies in the hours of work and days of the week.
A satisfactory outcome from criminal background verification is required prior to hire.
Part of the application process for this position includes completing an on-line Employment Eligibility assessment to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. The assessment will appear on your screen for you to complete as soon as you select "Apply to this Position" on this job announcement. Once you begin the assessment, it must be completed at that time. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until the assessment is complete.
The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship & sustainability , and committed to becoming climate neutral.
The University of Washington is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.
To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 / 206-543-6452 (tty) or firstname.lastname@example.org .
University of Washington - 9 months ago
Founded in 1861, the University of Washington is one of the oldest state-supported institutions of higher education on the Pacific coast. Th...