The purpose of this position is to solicit groups and organizations to Allen as a meeting and event destination and to ensure groups have the resources necessary for a successful event. This is accomplished by identifying market opportunities and sakes strategies to assist in recruiting groups to Allen, managing sales operations of the CVB, providing direction on marketing plans and tracking sales and services of booked events. This position does not provide direction to other employees.
- Serves as the City's liaison between the Convention & Visitor's Bureau (CVB) and the meeting and event planners, and service members to secure contracted events in Allen by researching, soliciting, negotiating and recruiting events to Allen. This includes promoting and selling meeting space and the usage of facilities for a variety of events including conventions, conferences, business/social groups, trade/consumer shows, meetings, and seminars.
- Solicits business through a variety of methods including direct sales efforts through convention bids, targeted sales and participation in trade shows and travel industry activity designed to reach consumers, group leaders, meeting planners, and association memberships. This includes coordinating and organizing site inspections, tours for meeting planners, and regular sale blitzes to highlight Allen.
- Maintains a well informed working knowledge of the attractions and services available in the area to visitors and acts as a liaison between these entities and visitors to offer suggestion on entertainment, tours, shopping, spouse programs and other attractions.
- Researches industry trends, best practices and other core values of destination marketing organizations in order to enhance the Allen visitor development industry.
- Assists in the development and implementation of sales call reports, leads, definite booking reports and correspondence for established and potential accounts/visitors. Provides follow up on potential leads.
- Monitors market conditions for trends, issues, or other conditions which require modifications in sales activities and strategies. Utilizes existing software to track sales and service efforts and produces monthly sales activity reports.
- Assists in the development of a marketing plan and implements assigned programs and projects.
- Oversees membership in convention/meeting/exhibition trade organizations. Attends tradeshows to promote the City as a convention and meeting destination.
- Assists with all convention-related promotional and advertising projects and events, including material provided in the CVB's Allen Meeting and Event Planners' Guide, as well as, coordinates CVB support/service needs.
Formal Education / Knowledge
Work requires broad knowledge in a general profession or technical field. Knowledge is normally acquired through four years of college resulting in a Bachelor's degree or equivalent years of experience. A degree in Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing or Communications is desired.
A minimum of three years of relevant work experience in public relations, hospitality or a closely related field is required.
Certification / Other Requirements
Valid Class C Drivers License
Advanced - Ability to read literature, books, reviews, scientific or technical journals, abstracts, financial reports, and/or legal documents. Ordinarily, such education is obtained at the college level or above. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Basic - Ability to perform the four basic arithmetic operations. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Advanced - Ability to write editorials, journals, speeches, manuals, or critiques. Ordinarily, such education is obtained at the college level or above. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Receives limited direction. The employee normally performs the duty assignment according to his or her own judgment, requesting supervisory assistance only when necessary. The assignment may be reviewed upon completion. Performance is reviewed periodically.
Supervisory / Organizational Control
No responsibility for the direction or supervision of others.
Work requires analysis and judgment in accomplishing diversified duties. Requires the exercise of independent thinking within the limits of policies, standards, and precedents.
Interpersonal / Human Relations Skills
Persuasion Frequent: From 21% to 50% of work time.
City of Allen, TX - 16 months ago