The Cook II does moderately complex and varied food preparation work on a designated full or part time shift in the Central Kitchen under the general supervision of the designated supervisor. Work involves preparing, cooking, portioning, distributing and serving food for regular & therapeutic diets, following prescribed menus, recipes and standards and completion of reports relative to the position. Must have considerable knowledge of the techniques of quantity food preparation. Cook II may supervise and train others with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and judgment. In the absence of Cook III this position assumes the position of shift leader. Is expected to make recommendations for improving operating efficiency. May be assigned to work in the ingredient room or drive the delivery truck. Other duties may be required which are reasonably related to the essential or marginal functions of the position. Maintains sufficient knowledge of duties and related work to satisfy the requirements of the job. Handles food in accordance with federal, state and HACCP guidelines. Follows safety procedures and practices for kitchen and food service work. May work unusual or extended hours in the event of a disaster and/or operational necessity
Essential Job Functions:
Attends work on a regular and predictable schedule in accordance with agency leave policy and performs other duties as assigned.
1. Prepares, seasons, cooks, modifies textures and test taste food during preparation and production to ensure quality conformance to all standards. (45%)
2. Meal production and preparation of assigned food products following HACCP and TFER food safety guidelines. (10%)
3. Monitors temperatures of food during preparation, production, cooking , serving and storage of food after meal service for compliance of HACCP, TFER and local Infection Control guidelines. (10%)
4. Serves on the insulated tray line and cafeteria line as assigned. Insures that product is at standards during meal service, serves correct portions according to the diet 100% of the time. (10% )
5. Maintains sanitation standards in all work stations, production areas, food equipment, containers and floors at all times (15%)
6. Maintains and prepares daily records of temperatures on refrigeration and food temperatures. (5%)
7. Other duties as assigned by food Service Manager or Team Leader. (5%)
Knowledge Skills Abilities:
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to performance in this position:
Knowledge of food preparation methods, of food storage standards and sanitation regulations. Skill in the operation and sanitizing of food service equipment. Ability to prepare and serve food, to clean dining, serving, and food preparation areas, and to maintain accurate records. Ability to speak and read English. Ability to follow written and oral instructions. Ability to complete basic math used in cooking/preparation. Ability to lift 50 pounds. Ability to stand/ walk on hard floors for extended period of time. Ability to work in hot and/or cold conditions. Ability to smell, taste, and see. Ability to work harmoniously and productively with co-workers and consumers. Must have valid Texas Driver License and good driving record
Registration or Licensure Requirements:
VALID STATE OF TEXAS DRIVERS LICENSE AND VERIFIABLE AUTO INSURANCE
Initial Selection Criteria:
1. High School Diploma or GED preferred.
2. Application Education Level Completed and filled in correctly.
3. Training and skills in HACCP and TFER rules and regulations prefered.
4. Certification in Texas Food Protection Safety Training is a plus.
5. Food production experience in a commerical or instutional Food Service of 6mo plus.
6. Skilled in the use of comericial food service equipment
7. Longevity on previous employment is > than 2 years by 50% of those listed.
8. Employment dates are filled in on the application.
9. Texas drivers licence is present on application.
10. Formal training through an accredited vocational / technical school in a related field may substitute for the required work experience.
Ability to read, write and complete basic arithmetic computation used in cooking, plus a minimum of (6) six months of cooking experience. Formal training through an accredited vocational / technical school in a related field may substitute for the required work experience.
All applicants must pass Pre-employment Drug Screen, DPS criminal background check and clinet abuse/Neglect Reporting System, Employee Misconduct Registry and Nurse/Aide Registry checks. If selected for employment, all applicatns are subject to an FBI fingerprinting per Senate Bill 643 whichw as passed during the 81st texas Legislative Session. This position mau be required to work overtime and/pr extended hours.
In compliance with ADA, HHS agencies will provide reasonable accommodation during the hiring and selection process of qualified individuals with disability. If you need assistance completing the on-line application, contact the HHS employee Service Center at 1-888-894-4747. If you are contacted for an interview and need accommodation to participate in the interview process, please notify the person scheduling the interview.
Texas Department of Family and Protective Services - 15 months ago