High School graduate or equivalent required
Produces foods for a variety of diets according to Quality Control guidelines for patients, employees, visitors, and catering. Responsible for handling foods using safety and sanitary guidelines, and keeping work area clean and sanitized.
1. Prepares meals that require a short preparation time. Reads food order or receives verbal instructions and prepares food items according to dietary requirements, recipe guidelines and quality standards.
2. Prepares foods by operating a variety of kitchen equipment; measuring and mixing ingredients; washing, peeling, cutting and shredding fruits and vegetables; and trimming and cutting meat, poultry or fish. Tastes products, reads menus, estimates food requirements, checks production, and maintains food freshness and quality.
3. Maintains records in order to accurately plan and monitor production requirements. Requisitions supplies and equipment as needed.
4. Cleans and sanitizes work stations and equipment and follows all department and regulator rules and procedures. Follows HACCP/ServSafe procedures to ensure proper sanitation and safety standards. Records and maintains HACCP records according to established department guidelines.
5. Demonstrates stewardship through inventory and food waste control.
6. Communicates effectively with patients, customers, and coworkers to ensure customer satisfaction and the effective flow of food production.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
· Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills;
· Intermediate computer skills;
· Ability to perform basic mathematic calculations;
· Ability to read and follow written instructions and recipes;
· Demonstrates an independent work initiative, excellent organizational skills, sound judgment and attention to detail;
· Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously;
· Ability to work in a high volume and high stress environment with varying hours and shifts;
· Ability to read, convert and follow recipes;
· Demonstrates basic knife skills and cooking methods.
· High School diploma or GED
· Two years restaurant, hotel, foodservice, or hospital setting experience. May substitute one year of experience for each year of education above the basic requirement.
· ServSafe certification within 90 days of hire.
· Associates degree in culinary arts, nutrition, or related field.
The Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) is the benefits division of the Department of Veterans Affairs. The VBA provides benefits divided...