Position Description: To cook adequate and nutritious meals as specified by menus.
- Ability to follow oral and written directions.
- Previous experience in an institutional setting preferred.
- Knowledge of food preparations, sanitation and hygienic methods.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. or more and be able to walk alone, pivot and bend as needed to perform all the duties listed in the “work performance” section of this job description.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of universal precautions and the rules that govern hazardous waste and products and blood borne pathogens.
- Handling and preparing of food.
- Meeting meal schedules.
- Avoiding food waste.
- Care of equipment.
- Preparation of food that is palatable and appetizing in appearance.
- Work cooperatively with other staff and departments.
- Follow all rules regarding hazardous products.
- Willingness to work for the best interest of the institution
- Ability to work cooperatively with others
- Initiative and judgment in setting up meals utilizing leftovers.
- Follow standard recipes but make independent decisions in line with current experience.
- Cook a variety of foods in large quantities.
- Hazards of improper food handling.
- Use and care of food service equipment.
- Familiarity with seasoning and cooking time required
- Cooking characteristics of various cuts of meats.
- Estimate quantities of food required.
- Thawing method per policy and procedure.
- Serving appropriate serving size with accordance to guidelines.
- Knowledge in therapeutic diets and the appropriate serving size.