This Coordinating Designer, Motion Graphics position is responsible for the creation, development, optimization and deployment of virtual scenes, designs, animations, and real-time graphics directories at an advanced proficiency level. This position collaborates directly with in-house virtual technology and creative teams, production clients, and outside vendors to keep project expectations, timelines, and deliverables on track. This is a hands-on position requiring individuals who possess strong conceptualization skills, in depth knowledge of how to execute virtual graphics in studio and remote environments, the ability to offer unique creative solutions, change direction easily, push their creativity and software skills to higher levels, exploit new technology, and actively communicate on all phases of a project to maintain the quality of on-air product. The Coordinating Designer, Motion Graphics is a high level creative who is expected to consistently set the bar on quality, innovation, and creativity.
This position will be based in New York City, supporting an hourly late night show airing; weeknights on ESPN 2. As the Coordinating Designer, Motion Graphics you will be launching a new concept for ESPN with top bill talent. This position will challenge your creativity and ability to work under pressure in order to deliver the highest quality content in a media market that is growing more competitive.
ESPN, Inc., The Worldwide Leader in Sports, is the leading multinational, multimedia sports entertainment company featuring the broadest portfolio of multimedia sports assets with over 50 business entities. Headquartered in Bristol, Connecticut, ESPN is 80% owned by ABC, Inc. (a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company), and 20% by the Hearst Corporation.
ESPN was founded by Bill Rasmussen and launched on September 7, 1979. Now with over 6,500 employees, each year ESPN televises more than 5,100 live and/or original hours of sports programming. The company’s mission is to serve sports fans. Anytime. Anywhere.
• Utilizes Adobe, Cinema4D, Maya, VIZ-RT, Brainstorm, and proprietary software to create advanced designs and animations for network productions and long-range assignments.
• Translates project details and creative direction into high-level design, animation, and layout solutions.
• Interacts with production clients to generate creative ideas.
• Engages in regular mentoring and development sessions with novice and intermediate-level staff members to increase the strength and versatility of the department.
• Creates graphics and animations for touchscreens, print and set designs, studio/remote applications (including virtual graphics), and ‘proof of concept’ projects.
• Utilizes real-time graphics software to create virtual graphics and animations for studio and event productions.
• Creates efficient 3D models and textures in high-end software.
• Builds assets optimized for virtual and real-time pipelines.
• Works directly with studio and event crews to implement virtual assets, maintains strong technical understanding of entire virtual production process
• Creates and develops graphics directories for studio shows and remote events
• Displays strong understanding and regular use of effective type layout.
• Actively involved with the conceptual development of design initiatives within the Creative Services Department.
• Maintains thorough knowledge of rendering specifications for HD, NTSC & PAL delivery formats.
• Uses render farm software to schedule and execute animation renders
• Expected to consistently strive to stretch the boundaries of design.
• Creates and evolves graphics looks for studio and remote productions.
• Actively participates on special assignments such as technical leads for new packages, in-house/off-site training and technical support for packagers, remote freelancers and vendors.
• Displays ability to research and answer technical questions with respect to design/animation techniques or systems in use.
• Proactively collaborates within the Creative Services group to contribute on longer-term initiatives.
• Demonstrates aptitude to learn new software to enhance individual versatility in the department, including Viz Script, Java, VB or equivalent scripting functions and logic
• Observes graphic format deviations and enforces graphic look.
• Adheres to proper file management techniques to ensure efficient archiving and subsequent retrieval of projects.
• Recognizes, reports, and helps troubleshoot equipment/software/work environment issues.
• Adheres to all administrative responsibilities, including time entry and daily reporting requirements.
• Participates in at least 32 hours of supplemental training/shadowing each year to promote personal growth and understanding of other departments and workflows.
• Maintains high standards of efficiency, consistency, accuracy, creativity and timely delivery of all requests.
• Must be highly motivated, work well under pressure, and able to effectively prioritize multiple assignments.
• Possesses strong individual and team communication skills with the ability to take direction well.
• Displays keen attention to detail, spelling and grammar.
• Advanced hands-on knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Premiere, and Adobe AfterEffects.
• Online portfolio/demo reel showcasing your creativity, design and type layout skills.
• Demonstrated 3D animation skills with good understanding of animation principles and theory.
• Must expect to travel, work flexible hours (days of the week, nights, weekends and holidays) as assignments or training necessitate.
• Must have reliable transportation to work.
• 7 years of hands-on design, graphics, animation, or motion graphics experience with Adobe, Cinema4D, Maya, or related software equivalents in a major TV market or network level.
• Expertise in real-time software packages (Vizrt, Brainstorm or other comparable Real Time 3D Graphics Engine).
• Expertise in Mental Ray, Vray, ZBrush, Mudbox.
• Knowledge of stereoscopic animation/graphics development and implementation.
• Renderfarm experience
• Passion for sports and a desire to create visually appealing imagery to enhance programming.
• Familiarity with programming and family of networks.
• Extensive 3D Modeling skills
• Knowledge of 3D file formats and objects conversion tools for multiple renderers
• Ability to develop and optimize 3D assets for real time render
• Knowledge of Windows Foundation Platform
• Python scripting programing language
High school diploma or equivalent.
Imagine a career with an organization that brings smiles to millions every day. Imagine working with people whose passion for what they do is simply indescribable. We are The Walt Disney Company, live with a rich legacy of innovation, entertainment, and lifelong memories. With our vast array of both businesses and professionals, you’ll have the opportunity to join a team that’s beloved around the world, and to find out how it feels to love what you do. We invite you to discover for yourself why a career with Disney is the opportunity you‘ve been looking for.
ESPN, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.
ESPN, Inc. - 16 months ago
ESPN, Inc. The Worldwide Leader in Sports, is the leading multinational, multimedia sports entertainment company featuring the broadest...