The Corporate Coding Director is responsible for coding support services throughout all LifeCare facilities. This position is responsible for accurate assignment of ICD9 codes and DRGs to documented diagnoses and procedures located in the patient record. The Corporate Coding Director may be required to travel on a limited basis in order to provide education and training to both facility staff and physicians on coding and documentations issues.
1. Manages and assesses the coding processes to assure that coding staff maintains 95% accuracy in identifying and coding principal diagnosis, secondary diagnoses and procedures and that all official coding guidelines are followed.
2. Manages and assesses process to complete inpatient final coding, abstracting and DRG assignment within 72 hours of discharge or within 24 hours of final documentation.
3. Maintains current knowledge of all regulatory changes that effect the proper coding assignment of ICD-9 codes and DRG’s.
4. Responds to peer review organization and other insurance inquiry letters on DRG changes and/or denials.
5. Trends Case Mix Index for variations due to coding accuracy.
6. Provides ongoing education sessions for physicians, case managers, nurses and other providers on documentation issues, coding and compliance issues
7. Participates in developing, communicating, implementing and revising policies and procedures for the coding department.
8. Works with facility staff and physicians to resolve coding, billing and documentation issues in a timely manner.
9. Regular attendance and timeliness is required.
Supervision: Directs the activities of the department and the staff at the Support Center. Indirectly directs the activities of the coding staff in the hospitals.
Experience: Minimum of five years experience in leadership roles in healthcare field and three years plus inpatient coding at short term acute care facility.
Education: Degree in Health Information Management or ten plus years management experience in healthcare
Licensure/Certification: Certified through the AHIMA as RHIA, RHIT or CCS
- 2 years ago - save job