Job Title: Corporate Communications Summer Intern
Job ID: 100743
Location: New Jersey, Jersey City
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Manager level: Not Assigned
A leader in brokerage and investment services for over 35 years, TD Ameritrade offers a full spectrum of powerful solutions and innovative tools for trading and investing. We're constantly expanding our knowledge and bolstering our capabilities, from a leading active trader program to intuitive long-term investment solutions and a national branch system. Combined with some of the industry's brightest minds, there's no limit to how big our accomplishments can be.
From first-time investors to sophisticated traders, TD Ameritrade is focused on helping individuals seek out their financial goals. And you're the ambassador to all that we do. Beginning with our trading platform and proprietary technology to our resolve to outperform, you'll maintain the high level of quality and integrity we're known for, each and every day. With the right opportunity, there's no limit to what you can accomplish.
As a leading employer in financial services, we believe in building strong relationships, achieving quality results and working with integrity. It's at the heart of everything we do. That's why we provide you with comprehensive training, benefits and programs that inspire you to achieve more every day. Apply to a TD Ameritrade job today and help our clients pursue their dreams, while you fulfill yours.
Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S. Immigration sponsorship is typically not available for this position.
The Communications and Public Affairs (CAPA) Intern supports the department’s efforts in managing the company’s communications strategy, including media relations, traditional and social media monitoring and measurement, daily news and market activity reporting, internal branding initiatives, Intranet communications and other employee-focused messaging, as well as corporate event coordination and management. Excellent oral and written communication skills are required for this opportunity.
CAPA operates in a very fast-paced environment with multiple deadlines, short turnaround times and a high level of executive visibility. The successful candidate will work directly with top executives at a Fortune 1,000 company, communicate with top-tier national media and assist with communications directed at the company’s more than 6,000 employees nationwide. This internship offers an exceptional opportunity for current students of communications, journalism or a related field, or recent college graduates, to use what they've learned through their course work in real-world settings and to development a baseline understanding of the financial services industry.
- Assist the external communications team in implementing communications plans and initiatives that extend the reach of TD Ameritrade in the media.
- Assist the internal communications team in implementing communications plans and initiatives that target the Company’s nationwide associate base.
- Monitor all company and competitor news mentions, posting new stories to the Company’s Intranet site regularly and preparing daily summaries for the executive management team, as well as assisting with monthly and quarterly reports measuring the results of the team’s media relations efforts.
- Develop proficiency with the team’s media tracking and measurement dashboard, including generating media lists, analyzing search criteria, purging non-relevant stories, and manually categorizing media mentions by business unit or initiative as appropriate.
- Monitor and report on the company’s exposure from social media outlets.
- Maintain responsibility for press materials including press kits, corporate B-Roll and other associated video, updating inventories as appropriate.
- Conduct research on relevant industry issues and topics and assist with preparation for executive media interviews.
- Assist with coordinating media tours and other related events.
- Writing brief press releases, key messages and other communications materials, as needed.
- Help plan and coordinate internal and external events that promote the TD Ameritrade brand and vision to employees, clients, shareholders and the greater community.
- Assist with nationwide community relations efforts.
- Draft, edit and distribute communications for internal corporate initiatives, announcements and business unit activities, as needed.
- Provide proof-reading assistance as necessary.
- Work with outside agency partners to help coordinate creative projects, photo shoots, video shoots and other miscellaneous activities.
- Help with miscellaneous department-specific projects, as needed.
- Must be a recent graduate in journalism, communications, marketing or a related area, or currently working toward a Bachelor’s degree in such fields.
- Must have superior interpersonal, written and oral communications skills.
- Willingness to work non-traditional hours as needed for specific projects.
- Must have project management experience and a demonstrated ability to respond to multiple tasks simultaneously, prioritizing and working well under pressure while remaining focused.
- Familiarity with the Associated Press Stylebook guidelines is preferred.
- Must present a positive, professional image with a desire to improve leadership skills.
- Must be self-motivated, team-centric and client service-oriented.
- Previous experience through either coursework or similar internships is preferred.
- Background or coursework in finance, accounting or a related field, or a working knowledge of the stock market is a plus.
- Experience utilizing, monitoring and measuring social media (i.e. blogs, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, etc.) for public relations purposes is a plus.
- Experience with QuarkXPress and the Vocus Public Relations media monitoring system is a plus.
TD Ameritrade participates in the E-Verify program for those states requiring E-Verify. For additional information on this program please click here .
TD Ameritrade is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity and offer a quality workplace.
TD Ameritrade, Inc. member FINRA/SIPC/NFA is a subsidiary of TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation (NASDAQ: AMTD). TD Ameritrade is a trademark jointly owned by TD Ameritrade IP Company and the Toronto-Dominion Bank. © 2012 TD Ameritrade IP Company, Inc. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
If your stock makes a big move while you're stuck in traffic, don't worry -- TD Ameritrade lets you buy and sell even when...